McKinley: assembly order?

canIdothis

Hi! I took the plunge and got the McKinley as my first dollhouse. The instructions seem to say that I should glue all the window trim on before assembling the basic frame of the dollhouse, but in other people's posts, it looks to me like people are assembling the house frame first. Which way should I do it? Also, I'm a fairly intelligent human being but I'm finding these instructions near-incomprehensible. Has anyone translated them for beginners? Thanks so much!

The instructions often say to glue the windows on first, but the general consensus is to glue them on last (or at least near the end). Painting and finishing the inside is much easier without the windows in place.

I tend to use the instructions as a guideline. If something doesn't make sense or I can think of a better way to do it, I do it my way! Do read the instructions but don't be afraid to deviate from them if you want to.

The More Minis blog has good posts and pictures of the McKinley that might help you: https://moreminis.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-mckinley-dollhouse-blog.html

Jaya, the instructions also advise you to use hot glue to assemble the kit; don't do that, either.  I wait to install windows and doors until I have done all the painting and wallpapering I want/ need to do because there's no way I can decorate the walls without crapping up the window and doors if they are already on; which means I cut painters' tape into strips 1/4" wide and mask off every surface I will want to glue to another surface before the first drip of paint/ stain.  Why not go to the "Blogs" button on the upper left hand tool bar and check out the Team McKinley build?  I found it easier to remember that the front of the house is the right side and the back wall is the left side.  Once I stumbled through a dry fit (with masking tape) trying to follow the instructions, the house went together fairly obviously.

Edited by havanaholly