Need tips! My first house

Jordan Y

So I decided to make my daughter a doll house with the scrap wood from work. Turns out this is a whole different ball game than building actual size homes haha it’s super fun but I’m having a hard time with my build. I guess I didn’t do as much planning as I should have lol 

So I used plywood as my frame and just rough cut the window holes thinking I could sand them to size or build around them but it’s harder than I thought lol I need tips on what you experienced builders do. I read that hot glue is a big no no but what else is there to use that dries quickly and works like hot glue? I’m currently building the windows (total of 18) so I need a solution to that will make my life easier lol 

Any and all tips are needed! 
Looking forward to joint the community! 
I’ll attach my pictures of the start of the doll house. There will be 3 levels and an attic space and the front of the house will have 2 balconies. Also a picture of the sliding window. Might have gone too bold with this first ever build lol 

20662011-E568-4C60-8ACE-AAF442DCDC16.jpeg

AD20834F-54BC-4BA3-A2FA-EDD9122B8813.jpeg

• Like 1

Wood glue and clamps are your friends. When gluing small pieces, like windows, lay them on waxed paper to dry.

Legos are helpful in squaring up small items, like doors and windows. (Hint: for doors, do a search for "pin hinge")

I love your enthusiasm and the way you just jumped in feet first. Any way we can help keep this project fun for you, we're here! 

Jordan,  you are one of our super-dads!  I can send you a personal message describing how I pin-hinge doors; I'm in the middle of making a pair of front doors for a Lily kit dollhouse that wants to become a Tuscan villa.  If you look at my farmhouse all of the doors, interior and exterior, are pin-hinged.

Wood glue may not hold instantly, but wood glue plus the afore-mentioned clamps, masking or painter's tape and steel staples or flat-headed finishing nails ought to hold that rascal together until the glue dries.

Edited by havanaholly

Trigger clamps and a speed square, as well as Legos built in a 'L' shape to make a perfect 90 degree angle help tremendously.( I see Kathie already wrote this)

You can put a dab of super glue here and there along with regular glue, then give it a spritz of zip kicker .  It helps hold it together while the regular glue dries.