Lights: How many are too many?

caitejay

I am about to embark on my first wiring project (tape wiring the Grosvenor Hall), and am looking at putting a lot of lights in.

I have two questions - have you ever wired a house where you later felt like you had too many lights in it? I may have 2-4 per room (15 rooms). Does that just make things too bright? 

Second question - I'm wondering if it makes sense to have two transformers. I'm thinking maybe that takes some of the pressure off the number of lights that I want, and maybe that might make it easier for wiring? I actually am not sure how it would make wiring easier, but I heard someone mention that in a tutorial somewhere and it's stuck with me. 

Two to four lights per room does not sound excessive to me. I do not know if using two transformers would make the initial installation easier, but it might help with troubleshooting later if that should become necessary.

'

Yes, troubleshooting was my other motivation - if I have a bad connection somewhere, at least not all the lights would be affected, and I could always maybe tap into that second circuit. Not sure if I'm thinking clearly on this though.

What you need to keep track of is the number of bulbs not the number of fixtures. You can purchase various transformer sizes which specify the number bulbs it can supply power to.

I am currently wiring an 11 room house. I have two different tape runs so I can keep track of what is connected where.  Using two different transformers sounds like an excellent idea to me. I am only using one very large transformer that is wired to both runs.

Be meticulous while you are installing. After you install something new, be sure to check that the lights still work in other areas. I even bump the house here and there to see if there is a loose connection.

Most importantly, sprinkle it with holy water, do a rain dance, or lay hands on it in prayer......:bouncesmile:I'm only half kidding but do whatever works for you.

• Like 1

I successfully made light today! (on my test MDF), so feel more confident moving forward. Now I just have to figure out how to lay all the tape out. I want as many fold-turns as possible (as opposed to cut-turns). I didn't think that planning out the tape would be so difficult!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caitejay said:

I didn't think that planning out the tape would be so difficult!

You may have already thought of this, but I split blue painter's tape in half and used the strips to plot out the complex routing. Can't tell you how many times I pulled it up and moved bits from here to there! When it came to putting in the actual lighting tape, it was so easy just to follow the blue pathway.

These both are great ideas - both pre-taping with painters tape, and the multi tool saw. I'm going to employ both. I've got rooms that are going to have four light sources: a chandelier, sconces, and a lit fireplace, so it quickly gets complicated, and I've been trying to figure out what the best path is to tape everything. The painters tape means I can screw up a bunch and not suffer for it. And then the saw makes it easy to jump floors - I wasn't thrilled about bringing tape out over the edges of the floors. It also means I can place my junction near the back of the house, instead of in the front. 

@Mid-life madness Looks like you were able to use the saw on MDF? That's what I'm working with, so it's great to see your picture. 

Is a box configuration of the tape wire okay (assuming I install the eyelets correctly)? I thought I read someone's post that it isn't okay, but I can't find anything in Cir-Kit's documentation or on the web that specifically addresses it.  

IMG_6275 (3).jpg

I don't really need one, but accidentally made one while laying out my masking tape and thought maybe a doubled-back connection would mean fewer failure points (though maybe it means more?) The accidental box I made was large, spanning from one end of the house to a second floor. 

If I need to make a T with the tape, doesn't it then become difficult to fold? Because I can only fold in one direction, and I probably don't want to be punching eyelets through all those layers of tape?

Edited by caitejay

I usually run the tape around the lower walls and then across the floor. I use the floor run for chandeliers that are one the ceiling under the run. I drill a hole up and run the wire to the tape run on the floor above. I use the runs that are on the lower wall for table lamps and sometimes sconces.