I have a fancy (vintage?) dollhouse and lots of questions/need advice

AbigailB

I will also post this on the questions forum. I want to sell my dollhouse. It is in need of some repairs.

Here is a link for pictures: http://imgur.com/a/N6GAfHe

Intro about my dollhouse:

I have in my possession a Bill and Mary Dale dollhouse. I don't know what year it was made (maybe date is hidden somewhere in the house? I haven't been able to look underneath it because it is too heavy for me to lift by myself). My grandmother won it as a prize in 1985. I have a small newspaper clipping detailing the dollhouse and the raffle at which it was won, and according to the clipping, the dollhouse was then valued at $2500 USD. It is about 93cm wide x 83cm tall x 41 cm deep (36.6 x 32.7 x 16 inches), although when I measured the height, I measured from the floor to the gable, so the chimneys, of which there are two, extend slightly higher. It is a clapboard townhouse painted a teal color. It has red brick as the foundation & chimneys, and white trimmings/window sashes. The back is completely open, and it has two main floors and an attic with staircases in between. It has the capability of electricity for the ceiling lamps in the main rooms, but I have not attempted to get it to work. At the back of the foundation there is a tray that can be pulled out, and it looks similar to a circuit board, so I would imagine that's where you would have to tinker to get the lights to work. 

It is not in perfect condition, but the repairs I can envision it needing are fairly minor. Some of the roof shingles need to be replaced, as do one or two of the mantles at the top of the windows. Some of the original glass ceiling lamps have fallen apart, but not shattered, so I feel like they would not be too difficult to glue back together.

I have a few bits and pieces of furniture for it as well.

What should I do?

It is a beautiful dollhouse, but I don't want it anymore, and I do not have the space for it. I am looking to sell it to someone who loves miniatures and will be able to enjoy it. The original value of the dollhouse in new condition in 1985 was $2,500. I don't know what a reasonable asking price today would be.

My questions for the community are:

Where would I be most successful in advertising my dollhouse to sell? (I was directed here from Reddit)

What would be a reasonable asking price for my dollhouse? 

I want it to go to someone who will be able to enjoy it, but I don't want to hold onto it much longer. Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

Depending on where you are, you might try listing on Facebook Market Place, Craig's List, etc. In general, try to keep it nearby, for local pickup. You don't want to get into shipping.  You can also list it on the Community Trading Post board in this forum. Please read the instructions for posting -- no prices, no email address, etc. Anyone wanting to contact you can use the Private Message, so your address will be kept private. You will get more responses if you can post photos -- front, back, details of damage, etc. 

You are describing a generally shopworn house with an iffy electrical system, which is old enough that it likely will need to be replaced.  What seems superficial to you may be fairly complicated to someone interested in rehabbing it. Without seeing it, I'd guess $200-$250 would be a reasonable starting price. I'm not familiar with Bill and Mary Dale houses; maybe that would make it worth more. Others on here will no doubt know. 

I have not heard of these builders and would need to see a picture. Perhaps they were not necessarily in the dollhouse building business but were hobbyist who built a kit and decorated it similar to Robin Carey. http://robincarey.blogspot.com/

It would be great to see exactly what you have. If you can fix the link or post a picture here it would be helpful.

29 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I found this link on your Reddit post: https://imgur.com/a/N6GAfHE  Looking at the photos and reading your description of the wear & tear, plus the age, I'm inclined to agree with KathieB.

Thanks for the working link, Holly. After looking at the photos, I stand by my original advice.

• Like 2