Melissa and Doug Castle conversion to apartment building

So excited - am going to convert this Melissa and Doug Castle to an apartment building! Cleaned it and applied gesso to the interior walls (the second photo is a "before" gesso.) It may be shelved for a while as I work on other projects or maybe I will work on a few projects in parallel . . . I want to add bent wood roofing to the rooms missing ceilings. Electrifiy the whole house. I liked the 1/8" strip LEDs I saw in a tutorial and I usually make chandeliers with brass wire and LED bulbs. I hope to try adding bricks to the exterior to give the building a pre-war feel, so if anyone has suggestions for inexpensive and relatively easy ways to do this, that would be great. Does anyone know the Melissa and Doug scale (I guess I can figure it out . . . ) Thanks to all!

Castle to Apartment (2).jpeg

Castle to Apartment (1).jpeg

Castle to Apartment.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi! Been working on the little castle "apartment" building. It is not electrified yet (saving up for lights!) so I am working on as much as I can in the meantime. Using paper clay on the front facade and egg carton stones on the sides and back. The faux stained glass windows will go in once all the painting is done. I could use some hints for how to best build the kitchen appliances - want to create a vintage porcelain stove. Also realizing I have no idea how to hinge doors. Hilarious! Having a lot of fun, though.

IMG_2940.jpeg.90ffff0e516d0aa5f92c3e3cd614ad49.jpegIMG_2912.jpeg.60908ddeb24ffe7d870709d05c46e014.jpeg63330600283__7FFC561B-55D0-48DA-83EB-F6CEBF07C0FF.jpeg.0e49d9c13342e7bdbf0d2be6692ef36b.jpeg63330594534__27D14617-4D88-4132-BDA8-104CD7AC8DAC.jpeg.c4734deeb9069bca0a7ca766169c3fad.jpegIMG_2900.jpeg.249c2ef2ab388a93a3c63712ba40a67a.jpegIMG_2894.jpeg.4b279ee6fd3ec8a4e85c20ff5894f447.jpegIMG_2889.jpeg.90d0c0c9f493e1b015723895d8ffa686.jpeg

• Like 3

If you're building your doors in layers and are going to have trim around at least one side of the doorway you can use strips of chamois, Tyvek envelope or grosgrain ribbon strips and glue half the length between layers of door and the other half between the wall and doorway trim.

• Like 1

Photo update: Paper clay is fun! Used it for facade details. Enjoyed the egg cartons and am working on smoothing out the edges of the "stones." Wish I'd rounded each "stone" as I went along . . . live and learn! Next - build the solarium and fireplace lounges, paint the facade and then save up for lighting so I can finish the interior! Many little chandeliers and light fixtures to build - fun!

IMG_2971.jpeg

IMG_2912.jpeg

slather a thin layerof joint compound over your egg carton "stones" and the moisture will soften those edges so they can flattenagainst the exterior walls.

17 hours ago, havanaholly said:

slather a thin layerof joint compound over your egg carton "stones" and the moisture will soften those edges so they can flattenagainst the exterior walls.

Joint compound strikes again. :) Thank you so much. I was wondering what was going wrong. I'll have to redo the paint but that's fine. I wanted to improve it anyway. I watched YouTube tutorials about how to create the stones but none mentioned this method using joint compound. It makes perfect sense and I have not been happy with the edges at all, especially compared with the fine work I have seen others do. Saved by your generous nature again! Will post pics when done.

In my area of Southern NH, there is the Searles Castle (historical, used for wedding receptions now) and some other Tudor-style buildings from the same time that have been converted into condos. They are very unique and your project made me think of them. Thought I would include the link.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/80-Pond-St-UNIT-2-Salem-NH-03079/86796171_zpid/