Building windows vs. buying windows

Tinyroomartist

Maybe premature because I do not have this house yet and do not know its window size . . . but I think I want to install type of window pictured. Trying to figure out whether two of the same window would be installed on the first floor, side by side? Has anyone every built this type of window? Asking in case I cannot find the correct size for the house. I love these! If I can't find any which fit or if building them would be too hard for a beginner (opinions?), am considering making the style in the second photo for some of the windows. Non-working but very decorative. The destination house is shown in the third and fourth photos (renovating an existing house.) Very open to other suggestions, too! And a huge thank you to everyone who has been taking an interest. It is amazing to be here with such nice people.

Windows (1).jpeg

Windows.jpeg

IMG_2817.jpeg

IMG_2816.jpeg

Hi Diana, @Tinyroomartist

I do not think she is a member here.

Have you seen Kris Comfort's blog? She has a post on making non working windows. http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/search/label/non-working window

I personally have not made a window, but if it interests you go for it!

• Like 1

When I restored a Laurel missing its porch and staircase I made a single side-hinged casement working window for the bedroom (upper right):

finished exterior right side, with trellis

I made all but two of my Glencroft pub windows to open the same was by hinging one side with strips of chamois sandwiched between the halves of the frame and the window trim and interior wall.

When I built the Washington 2.0 I made all of the windows (except the bay) working horizontal casements, pin-hinging the bottom panes.  (Since the Laurel I have begun making all the doors and most of the windows in my houses.):

56d51bfb1e535-1kitchen.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tinyroomartist said:

would be too hard for a beginner (opinions?

Nothing is too hard for a beginner if it is what the beginner wants to do. As we expand our adventures in miniature, every one of us, no matter how long we've been doing this, slips into "beginner" mode when trying a new technique. My theory is: if you can imagine it, you can do it. If you are not sure how, ask. Odds are that someone has been there, done that. 

As to which window design to use -- why not wait until you have the house, take a few days to study it, and let the house tell you what it wants? 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Tinyroomartist said:

Look what I just found! Has anyone seen this blog? I am sure someone has! Is the author here? This French house is amazing!

http://www.cinderellamoments.com/2018/04/somewhere-in-france-custom-dollhouse.html

I love her work! Don't know if she is on here or not. I don't think she does tutorials on her stuff, I wish she did because I LOVE her work. I'm planning on doing similar windows as your second one for my French County house. I'll used my Cricut Maker to help with that. 

Your house doesn't look like it has standard sized windows. If you're planning to add siding to the outside of the house, you can fill in part of the existing holes to make them whatever size you want them to be. It's strange to me that all of the windows go all the way down to the floor, it'll be weird for furniture placement. If it were my house I would fill in part of the bottom to get the bottom of the window off the floor, and maybe enlarge the sides so a prefab window would fit.

• Like 1

Thank you! I am so new at this and am learning how to look at each aspect of the house. I did not notice that the window openings (is there a name for these?) went all the way to the floor as you rightly noted. Now that I see this, I am looking at an inspiration house for comparison . . . I think I will have to look at each aspect of how the house is put together and laid out as you did to find differences / similarities and make many decisions! Much gratitude for your helping me realize this.

_MG_9612 (2).jpeg

_MG_9623 (2).jpeg

IMG_2817.jpeg

IMG_2816.jpeg

The more I look at the house, the more I think you are right about some of the windows being doors. I am going to start by doing physical repairs, then move onto the electrical prep, walls, floors, windows, doors and decide whether to cut two additional windows on the first floor (one at each end of the house, under the existing windows on the second floor.) I don't know whether I am brave enough to do that since I am not disassembling the house but I really want those windows! It would be great to build the windows shown below and if anyone has tips to help someone who has never built a single window . . . otherwise, I will just jump in and see what happens! 

Windows.jpeg

Windows (1).jpeg