Hardwood floor board size

KatFord

I have a very large dollhouse, 1:12 scale. It's so old, over 30, that I have no clue who made it or the name, but that's not important, just that its along the size of Newport or Beacon Hill. I have skinny coffee sticks, 1/4 inch wide, I think they're too small. I have the craft sticks that are .35, and the craft sticks that are .67 wide. I like a wide floorboard but I'm not sure if the .67 is too wide. What is your favorite width of floor boards for a larger house? 

Thanks! 

Kim 

When I use iron-on wood veneer strips for flooring I cut them 6" X 1/4" for a 6' X 3" 1:1 floorboard; I probably should go 7" length to simulate a commercial floorboard, but IMO in 1:12 6" length fits my personal esthetic.  Pretty much wider floorboards will be longer to look "right".

I think it depends on the era of the home or the look you are going for. Coffee sticks are probably too small for a 1/12 scale house. I have used the regular Popsicle stick size as well as 5/8 inch (0.6) planks. I think the wider planks are associated with older eras., but honestly it is your house to design as you wish so have fun.

TIP: Popsicle / craft sticks want to curl up when they are glued down. Try to evenly coat it with glue, but not too much. You can weigh it down and they when dry they usually stay flat. They are a very inexpensive way to have a wood floor. This tool makes cutting them easier. https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Upgraded-Cutting-Projects-Replacement/dp/B081WBK1ZW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=27Y8UX3YUISBN&dchild=1&keywords=easy+cutter+tool&qid=1610170616&sprefix=easy+cutter%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFGVDA0Sk4zMFNFVjQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyNjEwNzkyQUMwTVRIV0g3RlozJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMjg5NDExWkJBME9GR1ExR0RMJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I have used both the popsicle stick and the wider craft stick.  I prefer the popsicle stick but here is a comparison, both in a 1/12th scale setting.  This is the wide plank. 
large.7A124BD5-E83A-40E6-A292-553151AE3E08.jpeg.a0c92bd457aabf7b915ca93c2deca152.jpeg

Edited by Keifer

I like them both, Keith! Thank you for the examples, that was what I needed. I'm a very visual person and have to see to be able to picture how it will look. I'm doing an old French country home that a designer has bought and is rehabbing. That's the story I've created to help me put this together. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I think it depends on the era of the home or the look you are going for. Coffee sticks are probably too small for a 1/12 scale house. I have used the regular Popsicle stick size as well as 5/8 inch (0.6) planks. I think the wider planks are associated with older eras., but honestly it is your house to design as you wish so have fun.

TIP: Popsicle / craft sticks want to curl up when they are glued down. Try to evenly coat it with glue, but not too much. You can weigh it down and they when dry they usually stay flat. They are a very inexpensive way to have a wood floor. This tool makes cutting them easier. https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Upgraded-Cutting-Projects-Replacement/dp/B081WBK1ZW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=27Y8UX3YUISBN&dchild=1&keywords=easy+cutter+tool&qid=1610170616&sprefix=easy+cutter%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFGVDA0Sk4zMFNFVjQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyNjEwNzkyQUMwTVRIV0g3RlozJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMjg5NDExWkJBME9GR1ExR0RMJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I think I'm going to order that cutter. I have a similar one, but it's never worked very good and I can't replace the blade. Thank you! 

I feel I should clarify.  It’s not that I dislike the look of the wider planks.  I find them more of a pita to work with as the edges tend to curl up more than the popsicle sticks.  Something to keep in mind.  

• Like 1

I wonder if the cutter Carrie posted works better than an Easy Cutter? I have the Easy Cutter and it has never worked well for me. The mechanism that holds the blade in place isn't tight so the blade slips and the angle isn't right.

25 minutes ago, fov said:

I wonder if the cutter Carrie posted works better than an Easy Cutter? I have the Easy Cutter and it has never worked well for me. The mechanism that holds the blade in place isn't tight so the blade slips and the angle isn't right.

I have the same problem with my Easy Cutter. It's okay for rough chopping, but the blade slants a teensy bit, enough to throw off cuts that need to be precise, like picture frame corners. I hate that hairline gap. The item Carrie posted has several negative posts that indicate similar issues that are, to be fair, are outnumbered by positive reviews. 

I finally got frustrated with all the cheaper saws and their inconsistent uneven cuts that I bit the bullet and bought the Proxxon miter saw.   Best decision and money I have spent.  No more bad cuts and perfect miter cuts on all the trim work every time.  It's somewhat expensive, but if you have committed yourself to this hobby for a lifetime, it's well worth it in my opinion.

https://www.micromark.com/Proxxon-Mini-Chop-Miter-Saw-for-Hobby-Use

4 hours ago, fov said:

The Easy cutter is the one I have and it doesn't work right. Never has, some times it cuts, some times it doesn't and the bar refused to stay in place. 

3 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

I finally got frustrated with all the cheaper saws and their inconsistent uneven cuts that I bit the bullet and bought the Proxxon miter saw.   Best decision and money I have spent.  No more bad cuts and perfect miter cuts on all the trim work every time.  It's somewhat expensive, but if you have committed yourself to this hobby for a lifetime, it's well worth it in my opinion.

https://www.micromark.com/Proxxon-Mini-Chop-Miter-Saw-for-Hobby-Use

THAT is sweet!! I may safe up for that one. That would be a whole lot nicer to use.