A return to minis...

KitKat

Hello Everyone! I'm so delighted to find this community.

My love affair with minis began when I was little. I loved building and creating houses and stories for all of my dolls and stuffed animals. Books, blankets, boxes - a variety of mediums were pulled into action, demolished, and rebuilt again. I don't remember quite when I learned that there were actual dollhouse kits, but I know that my heart fell hard for the Duracraft Victorian Mansion. I was lucky enough to receive one for Christmas, but after a few weeks the interest and support of the adults in my life waned and it was never completed. I continued to build little things with the supplies I could scrounge (tape and balsa wood? sure, that can be a table!) and poured over books on miniatures from the library. 

Fast forward twenty, er, thirtyish years. As I was pulling out holiday decorations I once again pulled out the tub of minis I'd protected over the years. They'd dodged garage sales, multiple cross country moves, and my neglect. I lovingly unwrapped them, thinking that it was probably time I found someone (the little girls next door? my cousin's daughters?) who would pay them attention, give them new adventures... Lost in thought, I jumped as a little voice at my elbow asked, "What's that, Mama?" "These were my things when I was little. Here, I'll bring them down and you can see them at lunch."

What a surprise it was to see the delight on my three and five-year-olds' faces as they discovered "Mama's little things". Enthralled, they spent the afternoon putting books in bookshelves, giggling over mini ice skates, and cradling the little baby doll. "Mama, where is their house?" "They don't have one, sweetie." Dissatisfied with my answer, they pulled out their magna-tiles and promptly arranged rooms across our coffee table. At bedtime my five-year-old sleepily whispered, "They should have a real house, Mama."

They should, I thought. And then, on a whim, I pulled up craigslist. And there she was. A Beacon Hill dollhouse. Assembled, but in need of repair. Posted just an hour prior. Only a ten minute drive from my house. I'm listening, I told the universe. And in the morning, she was mine.

So here I am. I've spent the past month devouring all corners of the internet (which didn't exist when I was last involved in this hobby!). I have plans and questions. Big dreams and nerves. But I'm resolved to not let my littles - either my real ones or doll family - wait longer for the joy of seeing and creating in miniature. 

Best, Kat

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Kat.  I'll let you in on a little secret (well, not a secret here); I'm 79 and I build dollhouse kits and make almost everything I put into them and then I play with them.

• Like 1

Welcome Kat,:wave:

Dollhouses are dreams that we get manipulate and enjoy. I loved your story. What a wonderful memory your girls are going to have about the house. I can't wait for Grand-children so we can create and play together!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...