Newbie with a Van Buren

MiniJuice

Hello everyone! Glad I found this place!

I just scored a FREE Van Buren from Facebook Marketplace. I've always wanted to restore a dollhouse so this is my first time! I have no experience so I'm totally winging it.

So, it seems from some research, that it's a kit from 1979. It is already assembled, but literally a little rough around the edges. Were the pieces supposed to be sanded or prepped before assembly? I see splinters in my future! Ouch! The parts that have been painted are the front and side panels, widow's walk, window and door trims and chimneys. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to take it apart and start over by sanding and repainting.

It's pretty sturdy and no noticeable damage or holes. It's only missing a few things...one inner door, one window film, one door panel film...so I guess that's not too bad. Doors seem OK but attached with tape, so they're loose.  Balcony above front door is intact. There is no decorative flooring but some wallpaper that I'll remove. Hoping to order instructions from Greenleaf and dive in!

I look forward to chatting to you guys about my project. It doesn't look like too many people have recently restored a Van Buren.  I guess my first question, again, is whether I need to disassemble and sand/prep the wood.

Thanks so much!!

Saskia

Welcome Saskia! Congrats on your find. How is the structure, does it seem sturdy? I'd say you don't need to completely disassemble the house if it's well put together and the glue is holding. You could remove the window and door trim and the balcony and then sand the house before repainting it. Since the Van Buren just has flat walls I think it would be easy to do that, especially if you have something like a mouse sander that would get the job done quicker. Another option would be to cover the outside with siding, so those splinters would get covered up.

Wallpapering is much easier with the windows removed, so I would also suggest taking down the interior window trim (if it's glued in) and removing the windows for painting/wallpapering.

Welcome to the little family, Saskia.  I picked up a Van Buren in pretty tough shape at a local auction a few years ago that I plan to rehab. Since it was built with hot glue I shall completely disassemble it and  replace all the door and window inserts with clear flat acetate from packaging I save for the purpose.  I might also make new windows and doors, depending on how the originals survive my butchery.