Greetings from NY - cigar box rooms

Tinyroomartist

Hi! I'm new at this and am working with cigar boxes. I wasn't sure where to find like-minded people and, although I am not working strictly to scale, there is so much beautiful work here that I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for the inspiration and also for the help I have already received! I hope I will be able to help others in some small way as time goes on . . . the photo is of a work in progress. The walls are foam core and I am trying to decide how to finish the edges. I am also perplexed as to how to finish the edges of the carpet so it looks nice (carpet is in the front room.) The wood columns on the right and left will need work, too. Not sure how detailed I want to make them. I'm building a little crystal chandelier to go in side the room, past the arch and will mirror the wall to the left, in the exterior of the lobby. The window is wax paper right now and that needs to be improved! What do others use for frosted glass? The box is 4" x 6". I want to make a little upholstered bench for the interior or maybe a little table with a guest book on it . . .or an elegant potted plant - something to peer into the archway to look at.

IMG_2781.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Diane. When I stitch carpets I blanket-stitch around two threads outside of the graph and run a bead of fabric glue around the underside before cutting the carpet free of the rest of the fabric I've stitched it on. 

I use clear acetate flat packaging to cut window inserts, and if I want it frosted I rub both sides with nail polish remover on a cotton ball; some super glues will also frost and texture the plastic, although you need to use one that won't melt it.  Baker's  parchment paper might also work.

You could use seam binding or paper to finish the edges of your foam core.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tinyroomartist said:

What do others use for frosted glass?

I've never used it myself, but I've always thought the frosted-look bags inside the cereal box would make great frosted windows.

• Like 1

I found some plastic packaging today cast off in our apartment building - clean and it is perfectly clear. I can try attaching wax paper to it or the vellum paper solution. It may substitute for plexiglass and be easier to cut. Has any one else used "upcycled" materials?