The Pierce Dollhouse

Brittney

Hi everyone, I'm starting my first dollhouse, the Pierce Dollhouse and I was wondering when the best time to start the lighting, during construction or after? And should I prime it as I go or is it unnecessary because I want to use siding? Also, when I using siding should I put the windows on after the siding or cut the siding around the window... thanks!!

• Like 1

Tigpuppy, Elsbeth, and Kathie b have done amazing Pierce dollhouse. They have photos in the members gallery. I look at them frequently. If you follow the instructions as written, it is better to decorate the interior in spots before assembly. Once assembled there are spaces and places you will not see much less reach. I did my Pierce in brick, but if I were to do siding I would cut it to fit around the exterior trim. If you are doing lighting, it's best to cover a panel of card stock with flooring material or wall paper and place it over the wires. I'm doing battery operated lights because of the need to create overlays. Have fun! And don't worry about how long it takes. I've been working on mine a year, but I did take the whole summer off.

• Like 1

There are some construction photos of the Beacon Hill in my blog, including the removable staircase and CR2 electrical system, which was new to me. See it here.  The Beacon Hill is still a work in progress.

OOpsie! Leave it to me to respond with a Beacon Hill post in a Pierce thread. I didn't put anything extra in the eggnog -- really!! :D

Edited by KathieB
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Kathie, is your Pierce/ Bohemian Inn also still in progress?

Forgive me for responding with a Beacon Hill reference in this Pierce thread. :doh: I have both under construction. The BH is on the worktable and although my heart is with the Pierce, it is sitting on a shelf in the garage right now.

I do have some Pierce entries in my blog. I did a major bash on the entry and stairs to accommodate a reception desk for the inn and a glass-walled entry to the bar area.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, havanaholly said:

My favorite Pierce is still Tracy's (Minis on the Edge), which was featured in the Spanish dollhouse magazine, Miniaturas:  

How awesome I'm actually using this thread as backup instructions and I was wondering what the inside of the house look like so thanks for the Post!!

I used to get chamois detail material at an auto supply store and cut into 3/8" wide strips and cut three strips 1" long and glue half the width of the pieces evenly spaced along the inner edge of the door half I wanted to hinge (after sanding, staining or priming and painting the door's halves) and glue the other half of the door on top and let it dry; then glue the other half of the strips to whichever side of the wall I wanted the door to open toward and cover the chamois strips when I glued on the door surround.

Nowadays I make a box from 1/4" strip wood to fit the door opening and I make whatever kind of door I want from 1/4" basswood (if a solid door; otherwise two halves from 1/8" basswood) and pin-hinge it within the strip wood box, then glue the whole assembly into the doorway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I tried the tiny hinges.  Counter-sinking them into the door edge and door frame, like in a 1:1 doorway, good luck.  Oh, the the heads on those itty brass brads/ nails are ever so slightly rounded so that they stick up just enough above the surface of the hinge to cause binding.  That's when I went with the strips to hinge.  The Houseworks doors come pin-hinged, and that's what got me finally heaving a big sigh and going that route.

2 hours ago, Brittney said:

Thanks, I want to use the continuous shingle roll, it covers 144_157sqft, do you think that would be enough??

Brittney, are you sure those shingles are for a dollhouse?

Ok here's my 2 cents worth on this. And disclaimer here there is a real reason I taught reading and not math but here goes.

The ebay link says 147 sq inches for the package. 

Greenleaf's website says 7 bags of shingles for the house. One bag of their shingles covers 225sq inches. So you would need 7x225

Even with my bad figuring I think that is waaay more than the package on ebay but I could be wrong. 

It is so tempting to buy ahead but every time I have done that I either don't have enough and the item has been discontinued or my tastes change. It does make for a nice stockpile though. 

• Thanks 1

You're right I'm not going to order any shingles until I'm ready to work on the roof I'm just jumping the gun I think.

Also I'm on step C the windows and trim and should I not do the windows yet since I'm trying to decorate as I go right now my foundation and stairs are built and I have wood flooring to lay down and my kitchen flooring to go, should I put the walls up and then the flooring and just wait on the windows, I was about to take out all the trim and prime them but that's a lot of trim to keep track of and I don't know if I should just wait to do that. Thanks for all the advice but I'm calling it a night tonight lol this is my first dollhouse and I'm trying to do it right thanks everyone!