Hey my name is Graham and I’m currently working on my first miniature house. I doing the orchid because consensus was it was a good first build. I started this project so I could have some thing to focus on that wasn’t work, I’m an ER nurse and things have been a little hectic this year.

my biggest frustration so far is every piece seems to be a little off. Even the pieces that should be uniform aren’t. I assume this is normal with stamped kits. 

Hi Graham,

Sandpaper, exacto knives, wood putty, and joint compound have become my friend when wideningnor closing those gaps. I see it as part of the crafting. I hope if doesnt scare you off! Also, thank you for all you do as a nurse. I know it's a tough job on its best days.

• Like 2

Hello...I've just started my Orchid build and am having a difficult time. I'm struggling with the windows especially. They don't look correct even though I have followed the instructions to the letter. Also, should everything be painted first back and front? I didn't and now it looks terrible and now I'm stuck.  Please help!! I don't know how I could have gone so wrong. :(

Debbie K.

Welcome to the little family, Debbie.  No, don't paint anything back AND front, wood glue adheres best bare wood to bare wood.  You want to prime anything you're going to paint or paper.  There are two team building blogs for the Orchid in the Blogs section (see tool bar at the upper left).