Looking for joy in these dark times

supernat

Thank you! I bought a bunch of kits but I plan on starting out from scratch to learn the ropes. I started a build using foam core, which I'm almost done with. I used some joint compound on the walls but it absorbed the paint *lol* So I'm still learning things.

19 minutes ago, supernat said:

I used some joint compound on the walls but it absorbed the paint *lol* So I'm still learning things.

Hi Natasha, and welcome to the forum! We're all learning, every day! 

Hint: If you want to paint over joint compound (wallboard mud), first give it a coat of gesso to seal. 

Just now, KathieB said:

Hint: If you want to paint over joint compound (wallboard mud), first give it a coat of gesso to seal. 

Fantastic! I had a feeling I had to seal it, since I have to do that on my actual house walls. I'm having fun figuring things out and I think I'll make some room boxes/dioramas first, get my hands in some plaster of paris and new techniques!!  I'm familiar with terrain/building from a Dungeons & Dragons perspective and I imagine a lot will transfer over.

As someone who is starting out, what are some hard learned lessons that beginners tend to make when starting their first projects? Like, what do people do a much harder way than needed, that sort of thing.

Welcome to the little family, Natasha.  Hard-learned lesson #1 for me was patience; making myself take the time to do a dry fit of all the parts, shaving and/ or sanding as I went to make things fit properly.

Sometimes I think that knowing too much results in ho hum expected outcomes. Experimenting with new supplies and techniques often results in happy accidents. Of course there is no point in reinventing the wheel, so the tips and tricks that you pick up over time will help. Use the known as a jumping off place and put your own touch to it.

Keep in mind that there is no right or wrong way to accomplish a goal -- there is only your way. And in miniature, it is easy to fix oopsies. 

• Like 1