Covid Vaccines

Medieval

Anyone planning on getting the vaccine when it's available? I'm sure it is safe, but all i keep thinking about are all the lawsuits out there for unintentional outcomes for pharmaceuticals and medical devices because not enough time was given to study long term effects. So I will not get it. Maybe years later. But they only know effects 90 days after shot. What about 10 years after shot?

Edited by Medieval
  • Like 2

The hubs & I will be 80 next year (God willing) and much as I would prefer to get the Astra-Zeneca/ Oxford vaccine, we will get whichever one is available whenever it's offered to non-nursing home old folks.  We will also continue to wear our masks and socially distance until enough people are vaccinated.

• Like 2

I will get the vaccine as soon as my health provider offers it to me.  Until then, I will social distance, wear a mask when out, and stay home and finish the Tudor dollhouse I'm working on and then drag out my big "Worthington" kit (now hidden under the couch) and start on it.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 1

The news report I listened to said the vaccines effectiveness is 3 months and they do not know if you can still carry the virus and infect others because all it does is stop your symptoms. This is the first coronavirus vaccine ever made. There are other cornaviruses out there, but no ones ever made a vaccine before. Also even if you get the vaccine you still need to social distance and wear a mask because you can still spread it. It just won't make you sick.

• Like 1

I will not be getting the vaccine - but I also dont get the flu vaccine.  My stepson has just recovered from the virus and yesterday my 96 year old uncle was informed of a positive test result.  He is asymptotic at this point.  His 98 year old wife sounds a little congested but says she's currently feeling fine other than that.  Hopefully that's all they will experience.  My husband and I believe we already had it back in January of last year when we thought we would die from "the flu" we thought we had.  He could not stop coughing and for several days had to sleep upright in a chair.  Doctor gave him some silver colloidal breathing treatments and he finally got through it.  It was easily 6 weeks of being down from Christmas through the end of January.  He recuperated the second week of February we were in New York ...packed crowds, packed planes and flew back shortly before the information on the virus started to become quite repetitious.  

Im not an anti vaxxer, I just don't do vacinnes as an adult.....for those that would like to, I hope it's available to you quickly and is effective and safe.

• Like 2

I started getting the flu vaccine in nursing school; I also had to take the MMR because we were in the midst of a measles epidemic, and the hepatitis vaccine because I was going to be exposed to blood and body fluids.  Vaccines prevent diseases by boosting the immune response.  Since I'm pushing 80 I figure my immune system can use all the help it can get.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got the 1st inoculation last Friday, scheduled for 2nd one on Feb 5. This was through Wellstar, the hospital system my primary care physician belongs to. I use their online patient portal, where I was notified I am eligible and was able to make the appointments fairly easily. Each state is different. I just learned that in Georgia, Publix and Kroger pharmacies as well as some CVS pharmacies are taking appointments for those of us in the currently eligible group. 

Side effects: the sore arm that I anticipated, plus a bout of chills (but no fever) for a few hours. Both have cleared. I was warned that a fair number of folks experience more side effects after the 2nd dose. I don't mind. It tells me the vaccine is doing its thing in my body. 

• Like 2

I will get the vaccine when it is available to me. It will take all of us fighting together to overcome this virus. It's true that the longevity of the vaccine is uncertain, but I'll take any amount of immunity over none at all. 

Check with your local county or state govts to find out what group/phase you fall under for availability. They are rolling out very slowly right now, so be patient! We'll get there eventually, together!

• Like 2

We have a closer site coming available next week.

OK, it's Groundhog Day, and after only 6 hours in line the hubs & I got our first doses of vaccine.

Edited by havanaholly
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back from the clinic with a sticker that reads "Covid Conqueror"  to mark my 2nd shot. I'm optimistic that we can lick this pandemic one arm at a time. 

I'm still wearing a mask, distancing, and washing hands. I'm an optimist, not an idiot. :D 

• Like 2

DH's name is on the list, because he's over 70, but not very many Mainers have been able to get the shot yet. I saw where more New Hampshireites seem to be getting one. I'll be eligible in the next wave, whenever that is. Our 27 year old son who lives with us goes to work in a different Walmart everyday. We wonder, what if we've had it already and don't even know it? The whole thing just fills me with rage whenever I think about it. I drove 45 minutes to the good bakery the other day. Pastry helps with my anger issues. :eatyum:

Grazhe, we're dealing with supply issues.  We spent six hours in line to get our first doses of the vaccine and were # 687 & 688 of the 1000 doses the health department had received to give out that day.  They ran out before the end of their planned closing; the folks who waited all day to be told "sorry" have anger issues, I'm sure!

• 1 month later...

We got our second doses last Wednesday (Tuesday's clinic was postponed a day, due to weather); much shorter wait on line & far more/ better organized.  By the time they get to the non-elderly non-front line workers it ought to go fairly smoothly.  Those of our friends who already had their second doses warned us their after effects sere worse, but we didn't have anything but the same local soreness, and it went away quicker this time.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...