Pierce Staircase

Pamw

I am building the Pierce, and got a spiral staircase from HBS. It is the staircase that alot of you have used, according to the pictures in the gallery.

Mine doesn't fit all that well. The opening seems too small for the staircase to fit into. Did the rest of you cut it to fit? I wanted to check before I started sawing away...

Thanks! Pam

If you dry-fit the stairway you can lightly trace what you need to trim from the opening to make it look right. I haven't bought one of those stairs, but I'd sure want to check dimensions very carefully before cutting anything.

Hi Pam. I used that staircase in my Pierce, and you're right that the staircase doesn't perfectly fit the opening in the second floor. I think I may have had to sand down the opening just a wee bit, but I didn't cut it out. I thought about cutting out the opening, but then decided against it. For one thing, the stairwell is hidden behind a wall so you can't see it from the second floor, and it's not really visable from the first floor unless you stick your head inside the house. (bet you can guess how I know that!) The staircase will stay in place even if you don't cut out the opening for it to fit into. Just glue the bottom to the first floor and the top to the ceiling, putting the edges of the top step flush with the edge of the opening. I did mine that way and you'd never know the opening isn't the right size. You can always put a little moulding around the opening on the ceiling side to make it look more finished.

I think it's a matter of how comfortable you are in cutting it and how realistic you want it to look. If you do cut it, dry fit the staircase into place, then stick your head into the first floor and use a pencil to trace around where the top of the staircase will go so you'll have an accurate line to cut by.

I was just digging thru my pics of the Pierce in progress and found one picture of the staircase taken at an angle that might help you see what it looks like without cutting. http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/...078547631mNSXnV Hope that helps.

Deb

Deb, I have to wonder how many times we walk around with a dollhouse stuck on our heads! Ooo, and the Pierce, at that!

<giggling> You've given me a visual image of one of us wandering around with a Buttercup stuck on our head. Just imagine trying to 'splain that in an emergency room! "Well you see Doctor, I was just calculating the measurements for curtains in the bay window and one thing led to another........"

Deb

Hi Pam

I cut the floor in my house, and moved the the wall so the center room is larger I'm not putting in the wall that hides the stairs.

Also, I will be putting up a railing all around the opening so you will be able to see down into the stairs.

I just added some pics into my webshots for you to see.

Happy mini-ing

a visual image of one of us wandering around with a Buttercup stuck on our head

I did that when I was making & installing interior trim... I really love the Buttercup, it's such a versatile little house & bashes so well!

I really love the Buttercup, it's such a versatile little house & bashes so well!

And it makes a lovely hat! For less formal occasions, the Sugarplum works nicely too.

Deb