Southwestern Furniture Take 2

jaxenro

16 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Keith, you get a better (IMHO) result using a tap & die rather than a drill.

You may be right Holly but for the life of me I can not picture how this is done with a tap & die.  In my mind all I see is a traditional tap & die and can’t figure how this is used.  Perhaps someone could explain or show a pic/drawing.   

I’m just trying to understand the process.  I know how a traditional tap & die works for applying inner and outer threads.  I’m curious in how that is manipulated to make the decorative trim.   

No worries Holly.  I was not looking to call anyone out or anything.  I admired the look and was just trying to figure out how it was done.  I’m constantly learning and always looking for more.  After a bit of research, I think I understand now although the process is still foreign to me.   

Joel, correct me if I'm wrong.  Keith, Joel got the dapping set to make silver bowls from old coins (check out the last two pages of "What's everybody working on?" topic) and used one of his small dapping punches to make the beading trim on the furniture.  You wouldn't get that bowl-shaped curve using a drill, but you could finagle in interesting design, I'm sure.

Edited by havanaholly
  • Like 1

You know what...the misunderstanding was my own ignorance and assumptions.  You said dapping and I assumed it was a typo because I had never heard of such a thing.  Thank you for your patience and for the picture to clarify the matter. 

That being said, I appreciate your work even more because that must require a delicate touch. 

We just can't wait. It was (and still is) a 2020 Christmas present for my wife. She still doesn't know what is coming although she knows it will be dollhouse furniture. Missed Christmas and her birthday but it is due in TOMORROW!!!!!!

I expect it to look even better than the pictures. Joel has done a magnificent job!

55 minutes ago, Husband of Adobe Dollhouse said:

...I expect it to look even better than the pictures. Joel has done a magnificent job!

John, I can tell you from personal experience that it will blow you both away.

Edited by havanaholly