Can I build a dollhouse?

canIdothis

I want to give my daughter a dollhouse (I had one as a kid and it was my favorite toy) and I love the look of the Greenleaf dollhouses. I was thinking of the McKinley-- I want to have enough rooms for a bathroom and two bedrooms, and we live in a small apartment, so I like that it's narrow enough to display on a shelf. But! (1) I'm artistic, but I have zero mechanical intelligence. I've assembled a hefty share of ikea furniture, but outside of that, I've never tried to hang a picture on a wall or do any wood crafts or anything else like that. I'm very much a city kid. (2) I have very little time-- I work full-time, have two kids, and have other extra-curricular demands. Am I setting myself up for failure if I buy the McKinley? Could someone as dumb as me at mechanical stuff figure this out? Would I be able to assemble it in a bunch of one hour stretches set over a couple of weeks or do you need to be a full-time hobbyist?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Hi Jaya, and welcome to the forum.

You can probably do this, but if you are working toward a deadline, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Unless you can keep all the bits and pieces, tools, paint, and glue, etc., in a dedicated work area, trying to work in one-hour sessions will be frustrating.  By the time you gather the materials and reread the instructions for the next step for each session, there will be a lot of time wasted. It won't happen in a couple of weeks. I never thought I'd attempt to discourage someone from starting a dollhouse, but this may be more of a project than you envision. 

You might try searching eBay, Craig's list, Facebook marketplace, and similar sites for an already-built McKinley. I think you nd your daughter would have a great time decorating or redecorating one that was already built. If it takes a while before one becomes available, figure it would have taken at least that long to build it from the kit.