Base for walls and flooring

Hi! I'm currently working on my first ever dollhouse.

I'm wondering what is most recommended as a "base" to attach my wood veneer floor boards and for my walls so that I can work on them outside of the house and then put it all together inside. I'd like it to be a material that can stand the test of time too. Or am I better off installing straight in the dollhouse?

I recently purchased some subfloor material (Polystyrene) but it is 1/16" thick and it seems so thick considering it would be used for all walls and floors. Any guidance would be so appreciated!

Edited by AlisonJR

Welcome! I usually just stick it to the house itself floors/walls/ceiling after priming the surface. I have heard of some people making templates out of something like posterboard and attaching the flooring or paper to that then spot attaching that to the actual dollhouse especially if over wiring for easy access later. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@havanahollyCan you tell me why you'd choose the poster board over placing the stir sticks directly onto the wood floors themselves?  Is your reasoning in the event you'd like to replace the floors, later?  I'm ready to do my floors this weekend.  Thank you for your response.  I wouldn't say I'm new to building miniatures, but I want to know the best option and the reasons behind it

Sharon, Diane recommended the poster board base.  If you  are electrifying your house for lights it would make it easier to trouble shoot later on to make the floors removable.  I don't fool with electrifying and apply my flooring directly.

@havanaholly I think I understand the reason for using poster board for easy removal to get to the tape/wire in the event of electrical issues. With that said, once I iron the (veneer) flooring onto poster board, would there an issue with curling after I stain it then lay flat, heavy weights on top, or am I good to go?

I can't really answer that, not having put flooring on poster board; perhaps Diane or someone who has actually done so would be a better person to reply.

Sharon - I think that, as with many things in this hobby, it is a matter of personal preference how and when you do your floors.  I glued my little stir sticks to poster board templates because it was easier for me to work on them outside the house.  I liked being able to test the fit and take the floor out again since I had my wires for lights coming up through the floors.  I did have an issue with the floors wanting to curl up on me, so I kept them flat between large books most of the time until I was ready to glue them permanently in place.

I am often messy with paint and stain, so I wasn't about to glue my floors into the house and then stain.  I would have messed up all my wallpaper for sure!

To better advise you, we would need to know at what stage of building you are at.  You see - some people lay their pretty flooring to the foundation first, then add the walls.  Other people build most of the shell of the house and then add pretty flooring.  

Also, if you do decide to make your flooring removable for the aforementioned trouble shooting, you'll want to lay it in place (weighted flat) to glue your baseboards to the walls and hold the floor in place.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, it's been a while since I've posted @Call Me Crazy  I've already begun my flooring in the Worthington and chose poster board to iron my wood veneer to.  I'm happy with this option, though I DO understand the alternative of laying the flooring directly to the foundation, before the walls are erected.  The floors are coming out PERFECTLY! 

I'll sand and varnish them several times to create a BEAUTIFUL shine.  Thank you all, for your opinions and various options

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I seem to be dragging my feet on the Worthington, since last summer  @Call Me Crazy and @havanaholly Believe it or not, I haven't gotten to the second floor YET!!  Life keeps throwing a monkey wrench into it. I'm chomping at the bit for the day I can glue my 2nd floor in permanently.  

I completed the iron on veneer flooring for the living and dining rooms, but have not completed the baseboards in the dining area yet.  I'm happy with the turnout.  I can't install the ceiling molding until the 2nd floor is glued in place.  I'll varnish the flooring for the entire house at the same time, once I'm done with everything. 

In the meantime, I had a DISASTER happen with my large grommets going through the wood to the other side of the wall.  I've resorted to the electrical sockets from          Cir-kit (1004?) and can't seem to troubleshoot what the problem is as to why ALL other lights go out, when I plug the lamp into the electrical socket. 

I have to walk away from the house for a day or two before I tackle it again, otherwise I'll have a meltdown

Yes, on the thin wood the eyelets may protrude a bit. How are you finishing the exterior? I have done clapboard or stucco and you cannot see the oopsie!.

Also, I apply my wallpaper to a cardstock for a smoother appearance on walls.

I would remove that outlet, and place it somewhere else, then see if you have the same problem..... Electrical is so finicky. I always check and recheck when I add something new. That way you can back to where things were working great and trouble shoot.

Good luck Sharon,~~~~~~ sending happy electrical mojo your way!

Thank you Carrie for the advice about gluing wallpaper on cardstock to fix the problem with large grommets going through (thin) walls @Mid-life madness

I've managed to begrudgingly use the CK MICROSCOPIC outlets and plugs (instead).  The jury's still out as to whether I continue with the outlets/plugs while slowly losing my eyesight over time  :hmm: or use the large grommets.  I find grommets appear(?) to be more reliable, than the finicky plugs.  The downside are the (enormous) plugs that come with the lamps.  No one's ever happy

• Like 1

If I glue flooring to a template I use the plastic  signs from the pound shop or dollar store , they are thin, strong ,easy ti cut with knife or scissors, good and flat and are easy to glue on.They usually sale pr sale or for rent tc on them and are about a4 size. I can do the tiniest tiling so easily then.

• Like 1