False walls? Other depth illusions?

third_hand

Hi everyone, 

Long time no see (or, read, rather). I have been steadily, if slowly, working on my kit bash (the discontinued Laurel + the discontinued Adams, with a few scratch additions--see a theme here?). I think all of the kits that I'm working with are very...um...well sort of flat, in the sense that the walls, ceilings, etc. don't have any angles to add visual interest. This was one advantage of building an Orchid, the attic has all those lovely angles and recesses. This got me thinking: some of the rooms are relatively deep and I wonder whether using, say, a corner or a side wall of the existing shell for a false wall or to give the illusion of another room by placing material in front of the actual walls could add a lot of visual interest. 

Do any of you wonderful folks have any suggestions for this potential false wall or 'depth enhancement'? I think I will probably work it out of foam (Ara Bentley style, though I don't usually stray from basswood for construction), but I would love to see if/how you've tried to achieve an effect like this and what you learned along the way! I believe I also saw it, years ago, in a relatively popular book (maybe it was one of Helen Ruthberg's?--the illusion produced a sliver of staircase in a small pub themed room box) so if you can point me to places on here, the web, or in the book world of where you've seen someone attempt or tutorial this, please do let me know! 

P.S. I also saw something similar to what I had in mind at Jenn's Mini World: https://jennsminis.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/halloween-room/  Also in another post of hers: https://jennsminis.wordpress.com/the-big-house-remodel/utilities-room-second-floor/ 

P.S. P.S. - I think this technique probably comes up a lot in 'book nook' miniatures, as there's usually quite a bit of depth but not much width to work with. Feel free to suggest places where I can see some examples you think might be handy! https://www.messynessychic.com/2020/02/19/theres-a-major-hole-in-the-market-for-book-nooks-waiting-to-be-filled/ 

Edited by third_hand
  • Like 1

In a Mardi Gras room box, I added a window to the French quarter. It was really quite effective, if I do say so myself! :D  The battery light was from Walmart, on of those that operate by touch. Easy enough to lift the top of the box, touch the light, and voila! 

P9200002 light.jpg

P9200006 with curtains.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, KathieB said:

In a Mardi Gras room box, I added a window to the French quarter. It was really quite effective, if I do say so myself! :D  The battery light was from Walmart, on of those that operate by touch. Easy enough to lift the top of the box, touch the light, and voila! 

Vary cool Kathie!

I have seen false rooms that hint that there is a bathroom inside. I think the key is to illuminate the false room so it gives more depth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I have seen false rooms that hint that there is a bathroom inside. I think the key is to illuminate the false room so it gives more depth.

I did that with my first Orchid. Made a false wall to create a knee wall and doorway into the center large gable. Made a "door" out of textured yarn that resembled strings of beads. Used scrapbook linen shelves and a small scale tub to complete the effect in the very small space.

I have also seen stairways that are mere hints with just a couple treads.

My favorite mantra regarding miniatures: it's all smoke and mirrors, folks!

P8120005 smaller.jpg

Edited by KathieB
  • Like 1

I added a hinged foam core wall to my Magnolia to put in a bathroom:

bathroom bashing VI

and when I made the owner's apartment on Brimble's second floor I made a half wall to separate the kitchen area from the bathroom and hinged the bathroom's door wall.

Gina/ Wolfie made an ascending stair in her castle room box:  

• Like 1

Kathie, Holly, and Carrie, you've been so encouraging~~~

I think you're all very right; smoke and mirrors! I will definitely be attempting this and I appreciate you all sharing your work and experiments for inspiration! I find the peak-a-boo faux stairs especially compelling (though I already chose the 'attic trapdoor' solution to those finicky stairs!). I would love to see more examples of how folks do this and other 'fool the eye' techniques.

Can anyone recommend a thread on here about these sorts of tricks? 

Thanks again!

~E

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, third_hand said:

Kathie, Holly, and Carrie, you've been so encouraging~~~

I think you're all very right; smoke and mirrors! I will definitely be attempting this and I appreciate you all sharing your work and experiments for inspiration! I find the peak-a-boo faux stairs especially compelling (though I already chose the 'attic trapdoor' solution to those finicky stairs!). I would love to see more examples of how folks do this and other 'fool the eye' techniques.

Thanks again!

~E

12 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I don't recall a particular thread about this. It pops up in various places.  

Ell, do you want to start one?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, third_hand said:

I wish I could remember where I saw it but someone has a gallery using false walls with windows and doors showing lighted outdoor scenes. I was really impressed but I can't remember who. It was her solution to really deep rooms.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Ell, do you want to start one?

I think she just did. Already some very nice examples here. :)  

Edited by KathieB
  • Like 1

I created a false wall and attic stairs for my first McKinley.  The stairs turn into a wall, but with the door partially open, it appears they continue on up to the attic.  The inspiration came from a Nutshell News article from YEARS ago

• Like 2

On 11/24/2020 at 4:16 AM, KathieB said:

I think she just did. Already some very nice examples here. :)  

Hahaha, Kathie I suppose that's true. I hope that we can keep it up! I'm sure that there are lots of us who have plenty of tricks up our sleeves, after all! 

On 11/24/2020 at 10:04 AM, madtex1967 said:

I created a false wall and attic stairs for my first McKinley.  The stairs turn into a wall, but with the door partially open, it appears they continue on up to the attic.  The inspiration came from a Nutshell News article from YEARS ago

Matt, this is superb (though I'm entirely without surprise, since everything I've seen of yours on here is truly lovely). I love the added interest of the stair steps. It's a truly convincing illusion, indeed! Thank you very much for sharing. 

Susan Sirkis, who sadly passed on last year, had written several books that were instructions for room boxes with the false wall, hidden staircase,etc effect. I made one of her castle room boxes and it was really fun and learned a lot about false walls. Could be applied to dollhouse rooms too. You can still find her books on eBay. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164138499941

Edited by WyckedWood

On 11/25/2020 at 6:52 PM, WyckedWood said:

Susan Sirkis, who sadly passed on last year, had written several books that were instructions for room boxes with the false wall, hidden staircase,etc effect. I made one of her castle room boxes and it was really fun and learned a lot about false walls. Could be applied to dollhouse rooms too. You can still find her books on eBay. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164138499941

It's sad to hear of another mini lover's passing. I am glad that you are giving me an opportunity to get acquainted with her work! Thanks for sharing this, Karin :) 

P.s. It looks like we live in the same town! I also reside in Eugene, OR. I came here for grad school a few years ago. Nice to know there are others who make/love minis in the Emerald City! 

Edited by third_hand

I read an article in Nutshell News about using mirrors within landscapring and on walls of rooms to great effect. I love faux stairways, and I have a room in my glencroft that has a mostly unusable roof eave walled off and turned into a "suggested bathroom" - with the glimpse of a tub and bathmat. It makes my house seem more complete with that bathroom, but I don't have to use an entire room for it. I love the concept of the mural stairway _ i have always wanted to try that one.

I'm doing this with my Aster Cottage. It's my first build so there have been a lot of trial and errors. This is done with foam core and I'm going to try and attach the image here. I also have a false wall I just created above with beam construction and 1/32 walls. Big mistake as the 1/32 wood wall didn't take the texture well. It's not bad and you can't see where it warped but I can see it. I'll try to post a photo of that as well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KatFord said:

I'm doing this with my Aster Cottage. It's my first build so there have been a lot of trial and errors.

Whether the first build or the fifteenth, there will always be trial and errors. :)

The stairs worked out beautifully. They are completely believable. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 10:47 AM, KatFord said:

I'm doing this with my Aster Cottage. It's my first build so there have been a lot of trial and errors. This is done with foam core and I'm going to try and attach the image here. I also have a false wall I just created above with beam construction and 1/32 walls. Big mistake as the 1/32 wood wall didn't take the texture well. It's not bad and you can't see where it warped but I can see it. I'll try to post a photo of that as well. 

Wow! This looks wonderful! I'm terribly impressed with that faux staircase. Looks real to me ;) 

On 12/19/2020 at 9:26 PM, third_hand said:

Wow! This looks wonderful! I'm terribly impressed with that faux staircase. Looks real to me ;) 

Thank you so much! I finally finished the construction now onto the decorating! 

• Like 1