Hello from Queens

EPKiernan

Hi, I'm Ed. I'm from Queens, NY. I build my first dollhouse last winter (the Orchid) for my two daughters. It was definitely a little tough but a good learning experience. I am now working on the Arthur dollhouse and the second one is definitely going better than the first. I'm still having trouble with shingles and still having problems with how to handle splintering wood and figuring out which tools work best. I'm hoping to learn from the masters.

• Haha 1

Welcome to the little family, Ed.  When I built the Glencroft for the Team Glencroft building blog I had several splintery plywood sheets in my kit, especially the sheets with the half-timbering and the window parts.  I did quite a lot with wood glue, the tips of round toothpicks, waxed paper bits and clamps.

Hi Ed, Welcome to the farm, glad to hear you made it through the first build, it's bound to get easier with each one!  The beautiful part about this forum is that you'll have access to the most generous of people with skill, knowledge and expertise!   Welcome again!

Hi Ed!:wave:  Welcome to our little community!  You will def have lots of folks on here ready to answer your questions!

Personally, I hate shingling. :pullhair:  But it does go better with each house - and I am sure that yours will too.

And remember to always keep this in mind: Dollhouserie is addictive.  :ohyeah: 

Have fun!

Thanks for the welcome. I've started shingling the second dollhouse and I'm using a glue gun this time which is proving much easier than the tacky glue. The corners are still tough. I've found that if I use the edge of the shingle sheet like flashing it helps avoid spots with no shingle look/cover. Has anyone else found this helpful? Also, any recs on where on the site to look for ongoing convos is appreciated as there seem to be so many threads to go through. THANKS!

What's "convos", Precious?  For getting the angles on shingles I take a small piece of paper (like a Post-It) and lay one straight edge parallel to the bottom edge of the roof and crease it along the angled area I need to shingle and use it as a pattern to cut the angles shingle/s.  It must never get hot where you live; a glue gun is OK to hold your shingle whilst the wood glue dries, but my favorite houses to rehab are those originally built with hot glue, because I can easily finish taking them apart:

Laurel built with hot glue, when I got it (I had to prop it together for the photo):

the exterior:  before

and after I had taken it completely apart and rebuilt it with Titebond:

Finished exterior left side

8 hours ago, EPKiernan said:

Also, any recs on where on the site to look for ongoing convos is appreciated as there seem to be so many threads to go through. THANKS!

If you click on the Activity link in the green bar at the top of the page, you can set up an automatic notification of unread posts. This feature was going a bit wonky recently (at least for me), but it seems to have righted itself after a recent update to the program. <knocking wood!>

Welcome Ed :wave:

I found that using a 'story stick" has helped me while shingling.....especially with dormer windows or roof intersections. Finding a good movie that you have already seen to partially watch as you go makes it go by faster too!

• Like 1