Holiday miniature show on HGTV starting November 27

fov

On Friday, November 27, at 9 p.m. ET/PT, HGTV will spotlight its newest holiday series, Biggest Little Christmas Showdown. During the four-episode competition, hosted by Tony Award®-winning actor James Monroe Iglehart — best known for his larger-than-life characters in Broadway's Aladdin and Hamilton — the country's most talented miniaturists will vie to build the ultimate mini-holiday-house complete with all the tiny trimmings.

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/find-good-cheer-in-abundance-in-hgtv-2020-holiday-lineup

Somehow I suspect that HGTV's idea of "the country's most talented miniaturists" will be different than ours, but this should be interesting to watch.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fov said:

Somehow I suspect that HGTV's idea of "the country's most talented miniaturists" will be different than ours, but this should be interesting to watch.

LOL! Probably the miniaturists with the biggest personalities....and we know the majority of us are introverts! (no offense)

Anyhow, I can't wait to watch!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My friend NJ and I auditioned for this program. Obviously, we didn't make the cut. We were not told which network was sponsoring the show, nor did we know there was a $50,000 grand prize! Oh, well, it wasn't meant to be, so I'll be enjoying the shows. I'm sure it will be grand with June Clinkscale as one of the judges. 

Biggest Little Christmas Showdown
Premieres Friday, November 27, at 9 p.m. ET/PT
Tony Award®-winning actor James Monroe Iglehart will host HGTV's Biggest Little Christmas Showdown – a four-part "mini-sized" holiday house competition series. James, best known for his larger-than-life characters in Broadway's Aladdin and Hamilton, will lead the nation's best miniaturists as they face-off to create the merriest mini holiday houses, complete with all the festive, tiny trimmings. Each week, only one team will wow the spirited panel of judges, including designer Genevieve Gorder and miniatures experts June Clinkscales and Dave Asling, to advance to the next round of this cheerful competition. The top contenders will craft their most extravagant mini-holiday houses in hopes to win the ultimate victory: the $50,000 grand prize and a vacation stay in a full-size holiday dream home.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

LOL! Probably the miniaturists with the biggest personalities....and we know the majority of us are introverts! (no offense)

Anyhow, I can't wait to watch!

If it catches on and goes for a 2nd season maybe we will get a chance to showcase the talents of people in this forum. I love browsing the gallery...so much talent in such a small space! Lol

2 minutes ago, KathieB said:

My friend NJ and I auditioned for this program. Obviously, we didn't make the cut. We were not told which network was sponsoring the show, nor did we know there was a $50,000 grand prize! Oh, well, it wasn't meant to be, so I'll be enjoying the shows. I'm sure it will be grand with June Clinkscale as one of the judges. 

Biggest Little Christmas Showdown
Premieres Friday, November 27, at 9 p.m. ET/PT
Tony Award®-winning actor James Monroe Iglehart will host HGTV's Biggest Little Christmas Showdown – a four-part "mini-sized" holiday house competition series. James, best known for his larger-than-life characters in Broadway's Aladdin and Hamilton, will lead the nation's best miniaturists as they face-off to create the merriest mini holiday houses, complete with all the festive, tiny trimmings. Each week, only one team will wow the spirited panel of judges, including designer Genevieve Gorder and miniatures experts June Clinkscales and Dave Asling, to advance to the next round of this cheerful competition. The top contenders will craft their most extravagant mini-holiday houses in hopes to win the ultimate victory: the $50,000 grand prize and a vacation stay in a full-size holiday dream home.

What did you do to audition? Share your portfolio or deliver lines or just chat with people?

3 hours ago, Medieval said:

What did you do to audition? Share your portfolio or deliver lines or just chat with people?

We first filled out questionnaires on line, submitted photos of our miniatures.  We were then selected for the next step, a Skype interview, The interviewer was in New York, NJ was in Missouri, and I was in Georgia.  That was the end of our adventure. 

I'm hoping that someone here made the final cut. We were warned that should be end up participating, we would be sworn to secrecy until after the shows aired. Can't wait to see who the participants are. Somewhere out there is a pair of miniaturists sharing a $50,000 prize!  :) 

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Not having cable lets us out.  I hope someone posts a link to that show when it airs so I can watch that episode online.

No need for a specific link. Go to https://www.hgtv.com/shows/full-episodes and watch any shows you want online. You can also watch it live if you go to this site at the appointed time.

Your and NJ's Skype experience reminds me of one of the hubs' job interviews.  He did a telephone interview for a position and was offered it.  Ten minutes later he got a call from a higher-up in the company to confirm the offer, which was then withdrawn because, as the higher-up person explained, people who talked like my husband (Georgian born & raised) didn't usually last the first winter; the job was in the UP of Michigan, and after we checked out the location we realized the caller was 100% right!

Kathie, if you didn't make the cut, then whoever they chose better be GOOD!

I have a feeling it's going to be the type of people who do Instagram-friendly minis with a lot of white decor, distressed floors, and shiplap. We'll see. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fov said:

Instagram-friendly minis with a lot of white decor, distressed floors, and shiplap.

LOL!!  I got the impression that whatever was built would have a Christmas/holiday theme, but we'll see. 

Im sorry to hear you didn't make the cut, I do know, as Im sure that many of you do too, that June Clinkscales is one of the judges...shes as far from Gaines'ing as there is....hopefully it'll be a variety of beautiful minis we can all appreciate.

This is great news for our community, and hopefully it brings new people to this wonderful hobby.  Personally, I haven't watched HGTV as I used to, because the current lineup of shows bleed into one another.

Hopefully the miniature houses don't all have open-concept floorplans, shiplap, and white on white color schemes.

• Like 1

From what I've seen of the quick-glimpse ads promoting the show, I'm glad we didn't make the cut. The limited time to complete complex elements is definitely not in my wheelhouse or NJ's. Slow and deliberate is more our style! It looks as if the challenges all related to traditional Christmas/holiday décor. Haven't seen any sign of open plan or shiplap. I'm looking forward to stealing ideas gathering inspiration for future builds. :D  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kathie, I was being playful, because it seems that every show on HGTV these days have same aesthetic.  It appears that the television trend of home renovation shows have affected the real estate market aptly dubbed the "HGTV Effect." 

It appears that the show producers will give participants time challenges to create stunning holiday vignettes.  That's going to be hard, because creating miniatures are very much a slow and deliberate method.  If the producers wants fast, they can always edit the show a certain to attract viewers.  

7 hours ago, Island-Shack said:

Kathie maybe they'll get back in touch with you if they do :-)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bobie, but in the unlikely they offer us a reprieve, I would cheerfully decline. Building to  someone else's specs under a time restraint is not my idea of fun. 

As adriana said, "... creating miniatures are very much a slow and deliberate method." Goodness knows none of my builds have ever been rushed! :D 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Building to  someone else's specs under a time restraint is not my idea of fun. 

I totally agree! I would rather watch a series that shows a dh being built and furnished over time. But I guess that is what You Tube is for! My mom recorded a show of people building a dh (unless it was just an ad for an upcoming show...she gets confused). I'm headed over to visit her and maybe watch it tonight.

14 hours ago, Medieval said:

unless it was just an ad for an upcoming show

It must have been the ad, although it does show a couple robust glimpses of progress. The first show is this coming Friday, November 27, 2020