First dollhouse - Rutherford

Rebecca1

Hi All, new member and stumbled on this while looking for past builds of the Artply Rutherford Dollhouse. A little history, my grandfather built me a Rutherford 30 years ago and then remolded it 4 years later and it’s on display in my childhood bedroom where my now 3 year old niece admires it. I found a constructed Rutherford on FB marketplace that I bought from someone and now plan to finish and decorate to gift to my niece once complete. I was fairly confident when I first purchased but now completely overwhelmed. I want to replace the windows, add siding, nicer shingles than what came in the kit, add banisters, and of course decorate the inside. Anyway, I plan to use this forum for questions and guidance but I thought I would do an introduction to start. 

F29E9A9D-6A46-4643-840E-3F08887DC4FA.jpeg

Welcome to the forum Rebecca! :wave:

That will be an awesome gift for your niece. 

The only thing I would suggest is to be mindful that this house will be played with. Banisters may not be worth installing with a young child. They tend to break easily and can frustrate young ones.

You can find pre-made windows and doors as well as siding at most online miniature stores. You will need to adjust openings on the house.  You can also buy acetate sheets to use  with the existing windows.....The possibilities are endless.

We actually have a forum for new member introductions.  If you're fixing this Rutherford for your 3 year old niece I would suggest leaving off the windows and doors as well as the banisters/ railings and shingles, until she's a good bit older.  Little ones like to put their hands through window and door openings to move their dolls, animals, cars or whatever else they want to play with it their house.  I would also give it a coat of washable paint, since she may also decide to decorate it herself.

To adjust them for smaller components later?  I would use scrap wood or foam core to pad out the openings rather than wood filler, but you can always experiment around to see what your muse likes best to play with.

• Thanks 1