Unrequited Dollhouse Loves

Genevieve A

Okay Everyone, please share.  What is a dollhouse(es) that you absolutely fell in love with, had to have, but for some reason or the other (lose a bid, seller gave it to someone else, or simply it was too expensive or too far) never acquired it? One of mine was an absolutely gorgeous yellow Garfield aptly named “The Yellow Rose Inn” that was fully and very beautifully furnished for a very reasonable 500.  However I was out of the country and begged the seller to keep it for me for a few weeks until I got back, even offering her more money.  Sadly she needed to clear the room of it pronto and sold it to someone else.  Sigh.....my unrequited dollhouse love ❤️ 

• Like 1

I've missed out on several, or got outbid........BUT....I'm on the West Coast of Florida and my adult son lives on the East Coast - I saw a lady list a FREE Lawbre Nantucket that was so beautifully done on Marketplace on the East Coast. Within 5 minutes of it being listed I called my son and he agreed to leave work and immediately go get it, 30 minutes later it was GONE!! The listing was up for less than an hour and she gave it to someone else. I have never forgot about that house.

• 5 weeks later...

Over the years, I have also missed out on many vintage items; sometimes it's due to the seller not replying or the seller wanting an unrealistic price for their item. There is a pattern that some sellers have an emotional attachment to their dollhouse or they think it's worth a lot more because it's antique/vintage.  It can be frustrating to send messages to sellers via craigslist, or Facebook Marketplace and dead silence follows.  At the same time, that's the thrill of looking in the secondary market, from time to time one strikes a great deal.

• 3 months later...

I recently missed out on a Clell Boyce Elliott Bay that was on Craig's list for $250. It was listed for a fairly long time. I didn't know what it was and by the time I found out it was gone. I figured it just wasn't meant for me. I really want a modern/contemporary house anyway.

My heart's desire is a Brinca Dada Bennett. I keep looking.

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I found this site which shows both the Emerson and the Bennett, along with all the furniture; and here's another:  https://design-milk.com/brinca-dada-dollhouse-furniture/

I have looked at the photos countless times. I check eBay, Craigslist and shopgoodwill every day. I have also looked for a modern style Triang with no success. I am going to try building the 1937 Art Deco from the Popular Mechanics magazine.

I will probably start with a paper model, then a mat board mockup and go from there.

Thank you for the link to your blog. You are doing a great job. I have a lot of things to do before I can start this one. I look forward to following your progress.

On a side note, my mother's ancestors are mostly from North Brabant. Her maternal grandfather emigrated to the US in 1866 and my grandfather emigrated in 1891.

• Like 1

Actually, if money and space are no object, I want the Noel Thomas Octagon House, a replica of the Armour-Stiner Octagon House in East Hampton NY.

My hometown has one of the few remaining US Octagon Houses, the Silas Martin house and I want to build a dollhouse showing it as it was built with the balconies. I have researched Octagon houses and have downloaded the Architectural drawings from the Smithsonian for a couple of different octagon houses, along with the original 1850s book which sparked the building of octagon houses in the US.

This is all in my head for now. Alessio Miniatures has an Octagon Dollhouse, but the pictures don't give me the detail I want. I think it might not be all the way around, rather open in the back.

I would like to be able to open it up fully, so need to overcome the obstacles.