Aged/abandoned house - plaster exposed walls

AnneS

Good morning!

I am trying to create an abandoned mansion where much of the walls/floors are dilapidated. 
I have seen information/demos on how to create an exposed brick and plaster - but my house is wood and so it wouldn't have brick.

What I would like to do is something like the attached photo.
Does anyone have suggestions on how I might make the wood beneath? I was thinking foam board (much like I might create the bricks) - but I was looking into other ideas, too.

Thank you so much!
Anne

Exposed wood with plaster.jpg

I did crumbling plaster/ exposed brick on my 1:24 scale lighthouse:

finished side

I primed the carcase with flat white interior latex paint and laid a few sandpaper "bricks" where I thought I'd have the crumbling plaster expose them.  I used spackling compound for plaster (drywall mud and joint compound work just as well).  I have scored "floorboards" directly into the wood of the kit using the upside down tip of a utility knife.  A mixture of isopropyl alcohol and India ink will give a lovely silvery aged look to them and you can grate a bit of black and gray chalk pastels to dirty them up and to make the board lines stand out.  Prime the rest of the wall and spread your "plaster" of choice up to the places you want to leave exposed.  Old credit cards make lovely spreaders, and 1/8" to 1/4" will dry nicely.  You can wash your dry plaster with dirty paint water and brush light random coats of grated chalk pastels to age your dry "plaster" and you can texture the plaster with the flat of your spreader whilst it's still wet.

• Like 1

I've done just this on my current house.  Wattle under plaster but a similar style.  I followed Rik Pierce's instructions but basically made the wattle and daub out of card separately then glued that to the wall and 'plastered' over with paperclay.  Very effective.  My power is about to go off but when I can I'll post a pic.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 12:38 AM, Husband of Adobe Dollhouse said:

Don't just look at dollhouses. Model railroad builders do things like this for their scale buildings so you might want to ask in their forums or look in Model Railroad books and magazines also.

Absolutely!  I have been oogling all the diorama videos on Youtube - different scale but you can use the same techniques and they're amazing!!