So many questions!

EQsminirenos

Hello!

I’m so glad I found this blog, I’ve found so many helpful answers so far.

But I still have so many questions lol. My daughter and I have been experimenting with miniatures for several months and just got a Lee Valley Vermont Farmhouse dollhouse. The skeleton is put together, no interior walls or stairs, (I’ve been given all the materials with it to finish the walls, stairs, and porch) and I’m unsure of a few things and could not seem to find the answers...

The previous owner had stenciled the exterior in a brick pattern with what appears to be a mortar-type material. I had wanted to do a board and batten exterior but am unsure how to remove the “brick” work already done other than perhaps trying to sand it down. 

I was also considering adding windows to the sides, and patching the holes where the stairs will currently go as they’re in the middle of the house and I thought I’d try to move them to the side. Given that the house is already assembled, would either of these options be super difficult? 

Any tips or advice would be helpful, as well as any favourite sites to purchase building materials from at a reasonable price.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by EQsminirenos

Hi Katie,

You can try chiseling the faux brick off and using an electric sander. You could always resurface the house with 1/32 thick plywood for the the board and batten look. They even sell sheets of board and batten for minis. https://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/

You can add and move windows and opening as you please. It just makes it easier if you have the right tools.

• Thanks 1

Hi, Katie.  If the "brick" powder was just mixed with water you could try laying a wrung-out wet rag on it to see if it softens and then scrape it off with a metal putty knife/ scraper,  like they do RL "popcorn" ceilings.  If white glue was added to the mix I expect the mouse sander would be your bestie for the job.

• Thanks 1

I think your dollhouse is the RGT Vermont Farmhouse: https://www.realgoodtoys.com/products/vermont-farmhouse-jr-dollhouse-kit-milled-mdf

As Carrie said, you can cut new holes but you'll need power tools. The windows shouldn't be too bad since you can do it from outside the house, and filling the stair hole shouldn't be a problem, but cutting a new stair hole could be a challenge depending on where you want to put it, since you might not have enough room to get the saw in.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:35 PM, EQsminirenos said:

I was also considering adding windows to the sides, and patching the holes where the stairs will currently go as they’re in the middle of the house and I thought I’d try to move them to the side. Given that the house is already assembled, would either of these options be super difficult? 

I didn't like the placement of stairs in my house and didn't want to reposition them because they take up so much floor space in two rooms. So I eliminated them altogether. I just assume that they are in the part of the house that is not visible where the opening cuts it off. I am told that is a completely legit way to go. It all depends on what you want to do.