Staircase Oops

Blondie

I just realized that the risers and treads were different sizes for the 2 staircases in the Beacon Hill, but it's too late! I already glued all of the risers and treads to the wrong staircase. Do you think that's a big deal? My second staircase will look a little clunky, but it's not the end of the world, right?

I'm letting go of my perfectionism....

I think you'll be fine. You could do a few different things. You could buy a pre-built staircase for the second floor. You could put a runner on the stairs and you wouldn't notice. Or, you could take what you have done and try to pry the risers off. I don't think I would try this myself. It depends on how well you glued them.

Good Luck!

You can find the pre-built stairs at www.miniatures.com

Wide grosgrain ribbon makes great stairrunner carpet and covereth a mustitude of stair-building sins. I had a staircase that the risers were nowhere near tall enough, but I hadn't reversed them with the treads, and I closed the back with scrap wood and slapped wallpaper on it! Now I'd put a wall on the outer side & make a storage closet or a lavatory under the stairs.

I could hear the mantra in my bed: Everything can be fixed!

So I decided to just glue together the 2nd staircase and see if it looked horrible. It looks mildly horrible, but my dollhouse is going to be kind of weird and nontraditional anyway, so I can live with it. I only had one place where there was a gaping hole, so I shoved one of the spare pieces I had in there--you can see it down at the bottom. I made it work....kind of. :wave:

Don't glue over your pencil marks because you will be able to see them. In fact, write in pencil on the BACK of the pieces.

You can simulate wood stain with paint, and paint will cover glue AND pencil marks!

I could hear the mantra in my bed: Everything can be fixed!

So I decided to just glue together the 2nd staircase and see if it looked horrible. It looks mildly horrible, but my dollhouse is going to be kind of weird and nontraditional anyway, so I can live with it. I only had one place where there was a gaping hole, so I shoved one of the spare pieces I had in there--you can see it down at the bottom. I made it work....kind of. :giggle:

Looks fine, one thing I would suggest: since some of the treads stick out way more than others I'd shave them down so they're all pretty much the same length. Looks like a small job. :lol: