What dollhouse do you recommend as a first build?

redheadL

Curious about what you experienced folks think!

I am skittish of kits but am constantly looking for old or discontinued models on Ebay just because I am fascinated by them. What do you think is a good kit for a not super meticulous newbie? Any models to avoid? 

• Like 1

I have heard the the Dura-Craft San Franciscan 555 might be challenging for a newbie because is uses channels and you slide the walls down through the channels. I think you have to cut the channel pieces to size as well.

Honestly, that wouldn't stop me from trying, I think you enjoy building something that you are excited about. Many first time builders take on the Beacon Hill and do a marvelous job....

The Real good Toys houses for the most part seem easier to build for a newbie....My 17 yo daughter built the Vermont Jr. dollhouse in about 8 hours. Painted they exterior and trim.

1 minute ago, Mid-life madness said:

I have heard the the Dura-Craft San Franciscan 555 might be challenging for a newbie because is uses channels and you slide the walls down through the channels. I think you have to cut the channel pieces to size as well.

Honestly, that wouldn't stop me from trying, I think you enjoy building something that you are excited about. Many first time builders take on the Beacon Hill and do a marvelous job....

The Real good Toys houses for the most part seem easier to build for a newbie....My 17 yo daughter built the Vermont Jr. dollhouse in about 8 hours. Painted they exterior and trim.

Thanks! I'm not really enthusiastic about the way most Real Good Toys kits look. Theres exceptions of course.  How does Greenleaf stack up for a first timer? Any difference with the laser cut models? 

I see Arrow houses from the '70s from time to time. Some interesting models there. Any idea if those are easier or more difficult?

4 minutes ago, redheadL said:

How does Greenleaf stack up for a first timer? Any difference with the laser cut models? 

I have never done a laser kit, but I hear that it is much easier due to less prep work....I think all building depends on the person doing the construction. Some people open the box and see all the pieces and faint.  All newbie construction depends on the person doing it....

I haven't done an Arrow kit, I am not really drawn to them.

A lot of us cut our teeth on the Greenleaf Orchid. The Greenleaf Laurel is back in stock and would also be a good starter house. I would suggest browsing in the Greenleaf Shop to get a feel for what is available. You may be surprised to find that one will call your name. That's the one you should get. :) 

There is a 1978 Skilcraft kit on eBay right now.  I am not sure how much $$ you are looking for a kit.  But these are nice kits.  1/4" plywood, tab and slot assembly.  They are very easy to assemble and come with extras such as shingles (heavy paper) and siding (plastic sheets).  These items can be upgraded, but it is a great start to get your feet wet and have a nice house.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RARE-1978-SKILCRAFT-COLONIAL-WOOD-DOLLHOUSE-NIB-WITH-PLASTIC-TORN/143733075361?hash=item217728ada1:g:-ccAAOSwA31e1n3b

This particular one has "Make An Offer" option.  It has been listed for a while, and the price has dropped twice.  The seller may be open to bargaining.

6 hours ago, madtex1967 said:

There is a 1978 Skilcraft kit on eBay right now.  I am not sure how much $$ you are looking for a kit.  But these are nice kits.  1/4" plywood, tab and slot assembly.  They are very easy to assemble and come with extras such as shingles (heavy paper) and siding (plastic sheets).  These items can be upgraded, but it is a great start to get your feet wet and have a nice house.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RARE-1978-SKILCRAFT-COLONIAL-WOOD-DOLLHOUSE-NIB-WITH-PLASTIC-TORN/143733075361?hash=item217728ada1:g:-ccAAOSwA31e1n3b

This particular one has "Make An Offer" option.  It has been listed for a while, and the price has dropped twice.  The seller may be open to bargaining.

Thanks! I will check it out!

Anyone familiar with this one? I can't find any info about it and there are 2 on ebay. This seller is right near me. He says the box is sealed and he has no idea about maker or even what material its made of

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174075457695?boolp=5&ul_noapp=true

I started with the Greenleaf Travel Trailer, which went pretty quick, and isn't really a house but it gave me a good expectation for building a house. So then I built The Arthur - I think The Arthur, Orchid or Buttercup are great starters. In all honesty, Real Good Toys kits are easy to put together, but they do a lot of the work for you so what's the fun in that? Plus they're not as easy to modify - or as they say "kit bash".  My advice for resales though - try to only buy a kit that's in an unopened box if you can.