Just finished assembling my first dollhouse

ReneeMP

I've been admiring the Greenleaf dollhouses online for years, but had never been able to justify the expense, until this spring, when the world got cancelled. I live in Northern Saskatchewan, Canada, and for the first couple months of lockdown, you literally couldn't go outside without your face freezing within a minute or two, so I decided I needed a project, and bought the Magnolia. Now I'm hooked! I'll admit I rushed out of excitement and I'm not thrilled with the colour, and I'm just not happy with how it turned out, so I'm giving it to my daughter to play with. I've ordered the Buttercup and intend on doing a much better job. I can't wait for it to arrive.

I should also mention that I am partially colour blind, so I typically can't match colours at the best of times. There's a lot I will do different on my next house.

20200915_225429.jpg

Edited by ReneeMP
Forgot to mention something
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Renee! Well now that is a little rough around the edges but for a first house and that model you certainly did just fine! We all learn by doing. I like the added touches of moss and the logs on the porch.  Your daughter will be thrilled to have to play with it I'm sure. 

My first kit was a Bobbie that is currently undergoing its 3rd update and originally had hot pink shutters and trim! 

Edited by FurMama
Afterthought

On 9/16/2020 at 1:46 AM, FurMama said:

Welcome Renee! Well now that is a little rough around the edges but for a first house and that model you certainly did just fine! We all learn by doing. I like the added touches of moss and the logs on the porch.  Your daughter will be thrilled to have to play with it I'm sure. 

My first kit was a Bobbie that is currently undergoing its 3rd update and originally had hot pink shutters and trim! 

I've made her a bunch of peg people to go with the house. Now I just have to wait until she is old enough to not try and eat the shingles.

Also, the moss is actually hiding irregularities and other unattractive bits.

Edited by ReneeMP
Forgot something

Welcome to the little family, Renee.  My Magnolia is a Florida Cracker house located in what is now a national forest (back story).

On 9/19/2020 at 10:13 PM, ReneeMP said:

...Also, the moss is actually hiding irregularities and other unattractive bits.

You have obviously learned the first rule of building a dollhouse kit.  I hear some colors, so sometimes my decor may look strange, too.

Edited by havanaholly

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:
On 9/19/2020 at 9:13 PM, ReneeMP said:

You have obviously learned the first rule of building a dollhouse kit.  I hear some colors, so sometimes my decor may look strange, too.

Half my job is just me going "well how am I going to hide that?" so it seems the skill was transferable. 

You have synesthesia? I've never actually talked to someone with it before. That must making picking colours difficult.

2 hours ago, ReneeMP said:

...You have synesthesia? I've never actually talked to someone with it before. That must making picking colours difficult.

I've never been diagnosed.  Actually it makes color matching really easy, but it sets off a discord if one of adjoining colors is a tad "off", like a piano key that needs tuning.

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2020 at 2:10 PM, Railroader said:

A very ambitious choice for your first house. Nice job. Congratulations!

I scaled down significantly for my second house. I went with the Buttercup, I think I will continue to go small.