Hello everyone! Miniature lover here! I've grown up reading the Borrowers, Littles, and watching The Secret Life of Arrietty (if you haven't read.watched them yet, you definitely should check them out)! Anyway I'm on a quest to build a miniature 1:12th scale hobbit house which i plan to have fully lit inside with sconces and a flickering fireplace. My ultimate goal is to have it along the pathway outside my house so that the children of the neighborhood could peak inside and enjoy. I hope to decorate it for each holiday, halloween, christmas, easter etc. I want to put mniture letters inside that say "read me" (alice in wonderland style) and the letters will give them little scavenger hunts to do. It's all very silly but very exciting. I'm wondering if perhaps anyone here could help me brainstorm the best way to make this dream come true and be weather proof to Pennsylvanian climates. I was considering making a box room out of wood and then encasing it in plexiglass. any other suggestions would be awesome. Also, has anyone ever tried using factory direct lighting outside? woudl it just short immediately when it gets wet?

Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement!

Your new "little" friend,

Lindsey :)

Welcome Lindsey! Wow that is quite the undertaking you have in mind. I love the idea though but have no advice unfortunately. I do wonder about solar for the lighting. Weather particularly winter will be a challenge. Good luck! 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Hobbitgirl64 said:

Hello everyone! Miniature lover here! I've grown up reading the Borrowers, Littles, and watching The Secret Life of Arrietty (if you haven't read.watched them yet, you definitely should check them out)!

Lindsey - Since you love those books so much, I have another recommendation for you, if you haven't discovered it already - and i have found that is very little known (pun intended!) The book is "Mistress Masham's Repose" by T H White - the same man who wrote "The Once and Future King" - the book that mas adapted for "The Sword in the Stone." It is about a girl who discovers a colony of Lilliputians who were descended from some brought to England 150 years earlier by Gulliver after his travels. It describes their adventures together and is absolutely delightful. If you can find it I think you would really enjoy it.

Your idea sounds enchanting. I will follow your progress with great interest. My avatar photo is in Hobbiton at the Green Dragon Inn in New Zealand about a year and a half ago.

And welcome to our community. If someone here doesn't know something about miniatures, it is a good bet that no one does.

Edited by LeeB
addition
  • Like 1

Welcome. All of my exterior attempts have been short lived due to weather conditions. Even pressure treated wood has failed for me. I like the plexiglass idea. I would cover it with either premixed sanded grout if you want a stucco affect or the new “As Seen on TV” Flex Paste, which you could shape. 

• Like 1