Laser Cutter?

jaxenro

I have a laser cutter but I am in Australia, so postage would be extra, and at this point, horrendously slow (2+ months). Not ideal! You could google for laser cutting services in your area/ state, or if you have a local business that is likely to have a laser cutter, ask them (eg trophy engravers, cabinet makers). 

Hi Shannon

l’m not really in a hurry and only looking to try a few small pieces, maybe 2” x 3”, about that size, so I don’t think postage would be much. nor does it need to be cherry really any thin hardwood would work

What I’m not sure if is transferring my artwork to something you can use is something I can do. I have black lines on a white background but it is in a jpg  file now. What format would you need?

There are online services that can cut for you - but you will need to research how to create the files to email them. They can help with that part too.

Also check with local engravers or trophy shops - Engravers usually engrave trophies and plaques but their machines can easily cut wood, acrylic, leather, foam core, cardboard and many other materials. Ask them their file requirements and what they prefer - some might be willing to take on a small job like this.

Online services:

https://www.ponoko.com/?utm_expid=.gFe0zxF9S-yljVJpRrOSLA.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

https://outfab.com/

https://outfab.com/pages/tips

good luck!

If you are using 1/32 wood, then I think a silhousette cameo/cricut - or the newest one - Circut's Maker - would work. I use 1/16 and that's too thick for good cutting but 1/32 is thin. Check that out too - those cutter bundles are often a good deal.

and making svg files for the cutting machines is easy - lots of online tutorials to help - but I have done it and it was easy. In fact, a friend had me download the software for the Silhouette prior to buying a machine so I could see if it would work for me - it did. 

23 hours ago, jaxenro said:

Hi Shannon

l’m not really in a hurry and only looking to try a few small pieces, maybe 2” x 3”, about that size, so I don’t think postage would be much. nor does it need to be cherry really any thin hardwood would work

What I’m not sure if is transferring my artwork to something you can use is something I can do. I have black lines on a white background but it is in a jpg  file now. What format would you need?

I can check what types of wood I have and get back to you. If you have an ipad, I really like iDesign for a simple drawing app. I use Graphic, also on ipad, but not quite as simple. I would probably need an svg file. That said, I always print from a pdf. So I draw my file, make the lines hairline (in graphic I set the line thickness to 0.001) and make it into a pdf to cut from. You can send me the jpg if you want and I can see if I can trace it. I am hesitant to offer that as I am busy but happy to take a look and let you know. I hope that helps a little!

• 2 weeks later...

Shannon did this for me this one is just a test but it looks really good. The design is for a mission style lampshade taken directly from a 1910 book on making mission style lamps and shades but theirs was etched copper. Interestingly they also recommended using quality cardboard and painting it black so to me thin wood is a decent substitute. I am going to line them inside in translucent colored tissue paper in pinks, blues, and greens and use tiny square sticks on the corners

Thanks Shannon this looks like it will be a fun project

j6JU2Dh.jpg

Yes she is using oiled manilla which if I understand correctly is stencil material very thin and cuts well

I happen to have the colored tissue for model airplanes handy tough and thin so will start with that but I did take your trick of parchment paper and like it

• Like 1