A fact about building stairs

I thought I'd bring this up, since a lot of people are confused about building stairs. I'm no expert, but I've built a few, and I've just been working on another one for my 1:24 cottage row. Both of these staircases are the same height. Please excuse the irregularity of the one I cut from builders' foam. I was experimenting and planned on encasing it from the beginning, so cutting errors wouldn't be visible anyway. The second one was made from a piece of balsa stripwood. The foam staircase risers are based on a height of 5/16", but when I went to start the second staircase, I didn't happen to have the right sized wood, so I used 1/4" for the risers. As a result, although both staircases are the same height, one has 12 steps, the other has 17, and as a result is over 1" longer. The size you use for treads and risers makes a big difference. I always use the measurements of my stairs at home and proceed from there.

IMG_3441.JPG

2nd stair   (2) - Copy.jpg

In the White Orchid, the stairs were carved out of contractor's foam in one solid piece. See it here. 

The lights in this build operate from a battery pack, which is hidden  in a carved out section behind the stairs. The bottom section of stairway slides out for access. 

I love that there are so many very different ways to approach a project in miniature. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, KathieB said:

In the White Orchid, the stairs were carved out of contractor's foam in one solid piece. See it here. 

The lights in this build operate from a battery pack, which is hidden  in a carved out section behind the stairs. The bottom section of stairway slides out for access. 

I love that there are so many very different ways to approach a project in miniature. 

Nice!