My first Dollhouse The Alexandria

Abbie

I just bought a put together Alexandria dollhouse and am a bit stuck on what size furniture. I have not done this before but was curious about the furniture size. Does it take 1:1 and what does that mean. One inch to 1 foot? Also I won’t be able to electrify it....to difficult for me so any suggestions on small battery lights and where to buy them? Thank you. I am so excited. My mom passed away four years ago and having a dollhouse was a dream we shared but never did so here I go! 

Welcome Abbie :wave:

The Alexandria is a wonderful house. Perfect for an heirloom is my opinion.:cheezy:

The scale of the Alexandria 1:12 scale. Meaning 1 inch in dollhouse measurement equals 12 inches or 1 foot in real life. Here is a link that might help you.

https://shopofminiatures.com/blogs/little-shop-blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-dollhouse-scale

Get to googling...ha ha. there are many reputable online dollhouse stores that carry battery operated lights. Even Hobby Lobby carries some.  Miniatures.com is a good place to start.... hope this helps

~~~~Carrie~~~~~

Edited by Mid-life madness

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for the answers....silly me....after googling for days I completely understand the scale thing and all my questions have been answered! Except for one.....I purchased a put together staircase from Hobby Lobby for a 1:12 scale house with a bannister and it is too long. No matter how I position on both the first and second floor it is one step too long. I suppose the only solution is to cut it off. I hate to do that....has anyone else had to shorten steps....can not find an answer inline. Thanks.

Had the same issue trying to understand scale. Bought 1:12 stairs to put in a Buttercup. To our surprise they were too long. We cut them, but used them for steps at the edge of the "yard". Also bought 1:12 furniture only to discover it seemed very large. Turns out 1:12 furniture comes in all different styles and sizes just like real life furniture. You can buy all different sizes of couches, chairs, tables, and accessories to fit your rooms even though they're all marked as appropriate for 1:12 scale.

Janet Storey:  https://www.amazon.com/Making-Upholstered-Furniture-12-Scale/dp/1861083017  I scaled some of her patterns down to 1:24 for my Fairfields:

knowle settee.JPG

The Knowle settee was great fun, because first you have to enlarge the 1:12 pattern 110%...

Ceiling heights are different in different dollhouses, just like they are in different life sized houses. That's why the steps are too big. Houseworks has stairs that come with a separate extra step that can be added if you need it, but it sounds like you're using a different brand.

You can use a saw to cut off the bottom step.