Mission (Stickley / Arts-Crafts)Furniture

jaxenro

trying again on the actual sprung cushion simple frame from craft style sticks then glued in the springs and covered with cotton padding and leather

i did a simple cut and fold on the corners

and the sample couch i made up am working on the matching chair

IyDCOrc.jpg

uRMSe53.jpg

wVS8v49.jpg

pVFnDhE.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jaxenro said:

gives it a good feel firm with a little give plus it gives the piece a little weight

This is making me wonder how much a 1:12 scale doll would have to weigh to depress the springs even a little bit.  :ermm: :dunno:

<Pssst! Don't tell my sister. She's lately been insisting that I need to get a life. lol>

If you made a doll with polymer clay or porcelain head & shoulder plate, forearms and lower legs and a cloth body you could weight the doll's bottom with lead fishing weights to give the chair springs something to work with.  I think this is why there's a difference between a miniature model and a dollhouse miniature?

A decent sprung cushion from the time period isn't like sitting on a pillow it is a bit firmer than that especially in leather and this style of settee. Plus with three layers of cotton padding on top of the springs there is a certain amount of "give" built in. But if you push down with your finger it feels like a sprung cushion and if you turn it over you can see them. 

Anyway the matching chair and footstools are almost done. A little one for the chair and a long one for the settee

• Like 1

First the inspiration a Stickley Panelled Settle then the designing crew. Pokey on the left is my kitty she stays by my side constantly since I found her starving and half dead a few years back Caitlin we got a few weeks ago along with her mother and 5 littler siblings living under a porch. I was able to find good homes for all the rest but she stayed

vYMgcLZ.jpg

3QGA5yl.jpg

Caitlin is happy to be in a home and have food. Pokey is the most jealous little thing she is barely tolerating her. She barely tolerates my wife being near me. She gets jealous if I work and don’t sit with her. Just look at the look at her face

depth is probably the wrong word. Actually both are made from 1/32 strips they just look deeper on the smaller stool. this is what i am think of actual on the left thought on the right i think it matches the paneled look of the settle better

FA0INXy.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

You were referring to height rather than actual depth of the panel; I think that's what confused me, because in the photo with the couch the footstool's panels appeared to sit more deeply because of the angle & lighting.  I like the right hand footstool better, too, to go with the couch.

Both iterations are lovely, although to my eye the one on the left looks a bit spindly and the one on the right a bit heavy. I'd use a panel in between the two for perfect balance/scale, but that's just my eye.

Edited by KathieB