Do you glue it all in place?

Scott R

When you've completed a house and it's fully decorated inside...do you glue everything in place to avoid it toppling over if the house gets bumped...or do you not so it can be moved about etc.  

Just curious what others do

Hi Scott. Welcome to the forum. To glue or not to glue, that is the question. The answer is: it all depends. Do you want to play with it? Rearrange furniture? Or are you making a set piece, where nothing will move?

Also consider how hard it might be to dust if there are a lot of little items glued down. You may want to be able to take at least some of them out to do a good cleaning now and then. Like maybe glue down everything on a table but leave the table itself removable. 

I play with mine, so I stick some things down with poster putty so I can remove them for rearranging or cleaning, but I don't stick things down permanently.  Pictures on the wall, shelves, wall-hung cupboards, on the other hand, do get glued into place.  As Kathie says,, it depends.

• Like 1

Designing, building, and decorating are only part of the fun. The other part is re-arranging! I add, remove, upgrade, replace, repurpose, and move things from place to place and room to room, just as I do in my full-sized house. That's the part that my grand-daughter loves: playing with it! Sometimes we may end up with a bed in the dining room or a table across a doorway, but we enjoy it. 

I glue things down with Alene’s tacky glue. There’s nothing worse than sticking your hand in the dollhouse to place something and everything goes flying. Tacky glue keeps it in place but I’ve never had a problem if you really want to move something just pop it off the glue. Keep a small contact point between item and surface. This also makes it easy to dust the dollhouse with a soft fluffy paintbrush. I also use tacky wax to hold some items until I’m really sure where I want things placed- sometimes it takes a year to figure that out. I’ve also moved my large collection of dollhouses several times across several states and having things glued down has helped me to keep my sanity while packing and unpacking. 

Karin

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 9:28 AM, WyckedWood said:

I glue things down with Alene’s tacky glue. There’s nothing worse than sticking your hand in the dollhouse to place something and everything goes flying. Tacky glue keeps it in place but I’ve never had a problem if you really want to move something just pop it off the glue. Keep a small contact point between item and surface. This also makes it easy to dust the dollhouse with a soft fluffy paintbrush. I also use tacky wax to hold some items until I’m really sure where I want things placed- sometimes it takes a year to figure that out. I’ve also moved my large collection of dollhouses several times across several states and having things glued down has helped me to keep my sanity while packing and unpacking. 

Karin

Yep - I've been museum-waxing things after finally getting tired of bookcases and tiny perfume trays toppling over when my adult sized clumsy hand goes into the house...I haven't had issues with the wax residue. I also have used Aleene's Tack It Over and Over glue. 

I do like to rearrange too - so those temporary fastening options work for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Aleenes glue for items that are specifically meant for a certain house, and a certain spot. Especially wall hangings. But mostly I use quakehold museum wax. I try not to "rob" my houses and move stuff from one to the other, but sometimes it's necessary so I always want to have that option.