Hi there! I am very new to the miniature world. I have always adored dollhouses, however, I don’t own one yet because I know how heartbroken I would be if a kiddo or a pet damaged it in some way.

Recently, my 10 year old daughter decided we should build miniature boats for her snail friends. I wanted to build something better than just a simple “Huck Finn” type raft, so I got online and found a how to for a simple boat and the build, which should have taken an hour or so, has become over a week of fabricating parts, deciding that the original design was garbage and starting over, and completely falling in love with the process! I’ve even enjoyed the problem solving of pieces that don’t quite fit together and need tiny cuts and adjustments. It has now become more of a ship replica than just a kids’ craft stick boat. This got my creative juices flowing and I got curious about what else I could build. I have tons of ideas now and want to learn more about building from scratch. I am ecstatic to find this forum and the wealth of information here! 

Welcome Kristi,:wave:

Are you going to design your own house or work from plans?

I enjoy building more so than any other part of miniatures, but I haven't done a scratch build. Do you fancy any kits to get your feet wet, or are you going straight to the scratch build?

Hi Syiera,

I was also new to building and started the Garfield in 2015.  It was a huge undertaking for a newbie like me.   I took a break from building for about 3 years.  But am currently working hard to finish my dollhouse.  I admire your ambition to try to build your own from scratch.  I am thinking about building a garage from scratch to match my garfield dollhouse.  I also live in colorado on the western slope and have had a hard time connecting with individauls close by who are interested in minitatures.  So welcome and if I can be of any assistance I would be glad to help.  This is a great community to belong to and there are so many experience individuals so willing to help.  Good Luck.

Hi All!

I am also in Colorado- way north up by the state line, and I have been on Mini hiatus for a number of years to get my kids through high school (LOTS of sports driving) but I am getting ready to jump back in I think! I have a bunch of huge RGT kits that I just discovered have been retired for a number of years, some of which I may need to part with. I also sold period mini fabric and wallpaper, scaled correctly- and I have a huge inventory, so that will be coming soon too. So more than a couple of us here in Colorado!

Kathy

I’m thinking about getting a kit to start with. That seems to be the first thing most people recommend for people who want to make them from scratch. It’s important to understand how they go together. I have zero real life woodworking skills and I’m learning as I go. I watched a video on YouTube about using a dollhouse to learn framing. The instructor said it’s the exact same, just smaller.