Hello from Canada, and Help with installing hinges on front opening houses

coco83

Hello! I am a new member although I have been prowling this community site for a long time for inspiration along the way. I am from the Toronto area and have always loved miniatures. Now that I am retired, I have plenty of time for this consuming hobby and I am really enjoying it. But along the way, I find that I run head long into problems that take ages to resolve. One of the issues that has been plaguing me is how to properly install hinges on front opening houses so that they fit snugly with no gaps. I have a RGT east side townhouse that has a front left side opening with 2 hinges. I followed the directions but there is still a gap when the door is shut. I also have the Corner shop from Dollhouse emporium that has a removable front panel. The instructions say to hinge the front, but the kit did not supply them and I don't know the right size hinge to use. I have bought and tried several hinges and none of them have fit properly. So I am stuck. Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated

Thank you for replying so quickly! I did try a piano hinge, with no luck. I may have bought the wrong size. Please forgive me if the answer is obvious, but but what width do you use for 3/8 inch walls? Also my miniature supplier was not very helpful in supplying hinges so I am having to scour the internet for hinges so knowing in advance the right type and size will make sure that I will not waste any more time or money on buying the wrong size hinge. 

3 hours ago, coco83 said:

...what width do you use for 3/8 inch walls?...

I can't help you there, but those members who have worked with hinged walls that thickness of plywood will weigh in with suggestions, I'm sure.

Welcome Mani:wave: I am no help either. My Pepperwood Farm which is very thick fir plywood has piano hinges on all 3 doors. So does my townhouse which I'm thinking is 1/2 inch. I haven't noticed any gaps...maybe I have been too busy playing with them though. Reply to some posts on here in the different threads until you get five. Then post some pictures of how it looks maybe that will shed some light on your problem. Welcome aboard and enjoy your retirement!

Thanks for your help. For clarification, the "gap" problem is with my RGT east side townhouse, which doesn't have a piano hinge, but has the two butt hinges installed that came with the kit. I think all RGT are 3/8 inch. But I also have to hinge my Dollhouse Emporium corner shop, which has a removable front panel. This kit has 1/4 inch MDF. So I would like some advice on what width piano hinge to use for both. I will take some pictures to make it more clear.

Do you mean attaching piano hinge to interior? That’s what i want to do, just need to confirm width. Do you need to multiply width of wall by two get right width? I am attaching pics to make more clear what the issue is. They are rotates for some reason but the first pic is of the corner shop with a loose front panel wall and the second is the RGT townhouse with a gap when closed.

01D61F07-DDA6-4E2D-BB32-43DA66FD5437.jpeg

95DB402D-F492-4996-BF7A-385CCA2ADE58.jpeg

I have this same problem with my RTG Victorian Townhouse - it has a front-opening section that doesn't close all the way.  I did get it to close better when I trimmed the wallpaper on the door and cut back carpeting on the 2nd floor.  I've decided that it is some subtle slight mis-shape to either the 1st or 2nd floor that protrudes and doesn't let the door close tightly but I haven't worked up the courage to starting sanding or cutting the floors to find out.  So my answer is, it might not be the hinge itself totally at fault, but some small imperfection in the shape of the floors or walls due to paint, wallpaper, or whatever.  I hope you find a solution.  Good luck:wave:

I went to a great custom hardware store near me and I think I now have the right size piano hinge. And will mount to flat of walls like you suggest. Fingers crossed.  Thanks for all the advice fellow little people.

• 6 months later...

Hi Mani,

I am wondering how your hinge project worked out? I am in the same boat, I want to add hinges to a shop with a removable front. In my case, the roombox is made of 4mm MDF, so even thinner than yours. Did you manage to successfully mount the piano hinge on the interior wall? If so, are you happy with the results, and would you mind sharing a picture? 

Thanks!

• 1 year later...