Craftsman Living Room Set

jaxenro

From the Popular Mechanics book I am starting with this set will do the settee and two matching chairs. I ordered some small springs will do the actual sprung cushions from the plans for the base cushions, in leather, and loose cushions for the backs. Wood will be cherry and the finish linseed oil dyed with alkanet root. I have black leather but am leaning towards a deep earth tone instead, brown, deep red, etc. I am thinking a coffee table and two matching end tables looking for good plans to adapt. Maybe a bookcase as well, or a couple of magazine racks.

I have started cutting the parts. Twelve legs from 3/16" square (scale 2 1/4"), 16 short rails from 3/32" (scale 1 1/8"), 3 long rails from 3/32" (scale 1 1/8"),and 31 slats from 1/32" (scale 3/8"). I am doing it like a kit cutting and sanding all the parts first then assembly

aIC2DWG.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

heavy fabric also fits the style - this is similar not the exact design but the look I am going for - except the cushion is divided on mine and I am only making the square cushions for the back - two for the settee and one for each chair - but the leather color and texture are spot on - the construction details are also different as this has the through tenons and the layout is slightly different - but the rectangular solid look is there

u3dtxtD.jpg

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

I'm fascinated by your work. I looked on your website, but only saw mini weapons for sale. I'm wondering about your leather choice. Is there a particular type of leather with a smaller grain you use for scale or does any leather suit?

I have been using 1.5 ounce lambskin. Lambskin has a finer grain than cow leather, not scale, but I think part of the charm of miniatures is knowing it is a miniature. The wood grain obviously isn’t scale either so a close look would tell you it is a miniature.

To start I set up a simple jig from 1/32 plywood to properly space the slats. As the rails will be 3/32 and the slats 1/32 the jig will not only hold the slats in alignment for gluing but center them correctly between the rails

Qafth26.jpg

One of the big helps for me in making my own furniture is all the kits I've put together.  The pub's kitchen table & caned seat ladderback chair were my first serious attempts; you can't see the working drawer in the kitchen table.  I turned the table legs on the hubs' lathe.

and the other pieces I am doing for the set a pair of tables and a pair of shelves

all are from the Popular Mechanics plans from 1909-1911, all are suitable for the home workshop, and all are in the same style

I1uihWP.jpg

vtWWBHq.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

Joel, I notice that the tops of the posts for the magazine rack & table don't match the rest of the set, in that they are flat.  Will you follow the plans, or make them to match the rest of the set?

I think I will make them match but was still debating it

What did you think of the lambskin (actually it might be goatskin) on the couch?

btw - not for this set but a future one I tried laminating two pieces of madrone burl and cutting a slat from it I think it came out nice and the thickness is correct just slightly thicker than 1/32 probably about 1/24th. I am thinking if I cut them from the sheet in order and assemble them the same way it will look really sharp

8QTj83Y.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaxenro said:

...What did you think of the lambskin (actually it might be goatskin) on the couch?...

I think I posted (in Chit Chat) that your finish on the wood felt almost as soft to my fingers as that lamb (goat?) skin.  Very nice!

Edited by havanaholly

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the wrong size springs for the cushions so I reordered more

just playing in the meantime sometimes I just put something together to work out the bugs. The rails on the table are too high and the oil is just slopped on in th one picture will wipe it off after it soaks in for 20 minutes - first coat

https://imgur.com/rBOsxZ3

https://imgur.com/Fl9zWIS

https://imgur.com/S7FvuSs

https://imgur.com/sVT3j6z

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1