How to retrofit wallpaper on built house

Wildfordollys

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on how to apply wallpaper to an existing house?  I just purchased a completely built/finished dollhouse, but I don’t like the wallpaper it has in most of the rooms.  I also don’t like the flooring in some of the rooms.

Any advice on how to proceed?  Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

78AF0F46-10CD-46D1-91A1-C2D4C5BD8C4D.jpeg

AD204355-5DED-4306-87C1-35DB86620DAE.jpeg

C0829094-27ED-4934-84EE-A881BCEA0403.jpeg

Hi Kathryn. Fun project! My suggestion is to make paper templates for each wall or section of wall and use them to cut out your wallpaper pieces. I recently repapered a house and used double sided tape to hold the paper on, so I didn’t have to strip the old paper. Made it all a lot easier! Hope this helps a little.

If you can you might want to remove the old paper to see if the wood beneath was either primed or otherwise sealed.  Warm water and white vinegar sponged on the old paper with a rag ought to loosen it and that putty knife will help scrape it off.  Depending on the adhesive used there might be need to sand off stubborn bits.  I would also use that putty knife on the old flooring.

53 minutes ago, Wildfordollys said:

Thanks for your advice!  I was thinking of just papering over the old wallpaper— is that ok to do?

If the original wood wasn't primed or sealed before applying the old paper the naturally occurring acids in the wood will eventually discolor the paper & bleed through.  You could give the old wallpaper a coat of primer, it it's nice & tight & smooth, and paper over that.

30 minutes ago, Wildfordollys said:

What kind of primer would I use?

I use flat white interior latex paint to prime with.  You could also use gesso or a clear sealer; you want to seal the wood to protect whatever you put on it from becoming discolored and brittle from the naturally occurring chemicals that over time leach out.