Scale Ruler

jaxenro

1 hour ago, blueirishmoon said:

Only source I know is in the UK. I don't think their shipping takes too long, but it's been some time since I ordered from them. https://hobby.uk.com/1-12-steel-rule-1-12-scale.html

you'd think someone in the US would carry them. I found a pile of HO scale rulers but no 1:12

will order from the UK then Amazon and eBay both have them

I do not know why I did not think of this sooner. :doh: In a previous life, I used to work as a graphic designer and we used a system of measurements consisting of points and picas. Most people now are familiar with points because you can specify the size of type on your computer using that unit. But there are 12 points in a pica and 6 picas to an inch. So if you use a pica ruler and figure that 6 picas equal 1 foot and 3 picas equal 6 inches and 1 pica equals 2 inches and so on, you are able to make very accurate measurements. You can buy pica rulers from a number of vendors on line. I have a transparent plastic one that is very handy and a steel one that is more durable. The prices vary from about 4 to 15 dollars. Once I realized this, I just dug mine out and am going to start using them. So much easier than making calculations all the time! :clap:

• Like 1

Thanks Lee , I have stored this information away in my head and will be pulling out my pica rulers. I to have a plastic and a very old medal one. My favorite boss gave it to me when he retired. (It's actually older than me) I am in printing and have been my whole work life . I used to be in the prepress department -, then production and my last 20 years in sales. 

My wife just mentioned to me that there are also rulers made for cross-stitching crafters that have 1/12 as well as other increments that are used to scale a pattern to different kinds of fabric according to how many stitches to an inch. Places that have needlecraft supplies should carry these.