Making miniature books 1:12

Sweet

There are lots of tutorials to be found on youtube.

Look for "How to make miniature books"  by The Square to Spare. That is quite a good one

I tried copying the link but then it puts the whole film here.

Good luck..

• Like 1

Dutchie, it depends on whether you want to make realistic books with printing and pictures or whether you just want to fill a little bookcase (like I usually do).  Jim's Printmini site has lots of book covers in 1:6, 1:12 and 1:24 scale; just stack and cut pieces of poster board or foam core to size and glue the covers on.  1:2 scale is a lot larger than dollhouse scale, though.

• Like 1

I changed the thread title to 1:12. :)

Many years ago I wrote a tutorial for Miniature Collector about scanning real book covers to make mini books. It's here (posted with permission) if you want to read it: https://www.emilymorganti.com/samples/miniaturizingprints.pdf

I also have a tutorial here: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=13302

These are modern books but you could use the same method for old books. There are a lot of printies online for old-looking book covers. These tutorials use paper for the pages, but you can also use blocks of wood with the edges painted white or gold.

• Like 1

I like using the card stock to get the effect of folio page edges.  Here's the link for Jim's site:  https://www.printmini.com/printables/p1.html  If you want to make pages that turn, like Joel's books, you want to use something a tad heavier than one layer of paper for the book covers.

Edited by havanaholly
  • Like 1

I had lots of fun making 12th scale books from this tutorial. I made many of them with printed pages, and also several with foam board sandwiched between the printed cover. They are addictive - once you start making them, it's hard to stop! :) 

https://thicketworks.com/miniature-books-a-love-affair/

Here's a photo of the ones I completed filling the bookcases in my music room. 

mini_books.JPG

Edited by IndyCindy
  • Like 2

Thank you all! Yesterday I had a go at it. I work in a printing factory and that is a benefit.
Last week my team and I made a weekly journal containing 20 pages. I could copy the PDF's and make them smaller (25 mm high) and printed a copy.

Then I made a mistake. I folded them into each other. It took me a while to understand I should have fold them onto each other...
Here is the result, my copy of Alice in Wonderland and a songbook.
When I enlarged the picture I noticed that I stuck the front of Alice upside down, haha.

booksweb.thumb.jpg.40b4c948c45cc6638c563c6ac9288da6.jpg

Edited by Sweet
typo's
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Exploring the enchanting world of making miniature books in 1:12 scale has been a delightful journey for me as a student who adores writing. Crafting these tiny literary gems is not just a hobby; it's a captivating art form that blends creativity and precision. From meticulously designing covers to crafting intricate pages, each miniature book becomes a testament to patience and passion. The process offers a unique perspective on the intricacies of bookbinding and storytelling, allowing me to appreciate the artistry in every detail. If you're curious to embark on this charming endeavor, check out this invaluable resource at https://essaypro.com/research-proposal-writing-service . Happy crafting!

Thanks for the kind words they are fun to make but are just a lot of work and as usual I got side tracked into other projects

Many years ago I used to collect small dirk or daggers made in Sheffield England from the 1840's to the early 1900's. So for some unknown reason I decided to design a line of similar knife kits (as letter openers) and have them made and sell them to people that mostly turn pens and other small lathe turned items. In  a year I have gone from the orignal letter opener kit to pizza cutters, pens, displays, and all sorts of other kits, but it is taking a lot of my fun time away.

That's why I am dipping my toes back in the miniature furniture making hobby to do something that doesn't turn into a business. Although I do admit designing something on paper, having it reproduced as a kit, and then seeing what others do with it is a thrill

I know this is shamelessly off topic but these are a few of my letter opener designs with handles by various cusomers

2ArF6ku.jpg

QwODkmS.jpg

KwNYPHs.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

BTW the one in the middle has a Fordite handle which if you have never heard of it is one of the most interestng materials I have seen. It is used for pens, knives, jewelry, all sorts of things. Back in the 1940's through 1990's  (I think) cars in Detroit were sprayed in enamel and acrylic lacquer. They went into th spray booth, were painted and baked, and pushed out. Over time layer after layer of different colors built up on the rails and other areas in the booth and needed to be cut off. The pieces composed of multiple layers of baked enamel and acrylic lacquer were then collected, cut, and polished to form beautiful and unique pendants, rings, and other small objects. From the jewel like tones of the 1950's enamels to the metalic shine of the later 1960's there is a wealth of different materials. Even black and white in multiple layers and it all forms naturally and cut on a bias across the layers causes it all to show

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordite

Edited by jaxenro
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...