Grout, Spacers, Mini Magic Tiles

I plan to put Mini Magic Onyx tiles into the kitchen of my Victoria's Farmhouse. They are made of mica.

What have you used for spacers? Did you glue the tiles down and then apply grout? Do I need to apply polyacrylic to these tiles before grouting? (would the grout scratch the mica?

Can these mica tiles be cut with the EZ Cutter tool? 

Thanks!

Edited by Silvergirlsails
On 7/30/2020 at 11:20 PM, Mid-life madness said:

You might want to ask the retailer or maker of the tiles what they recommend.

The number for Mini Magic in West Hempstead is out of service, but the folks at Miniature Designs, where I purchased the Onyx tiles, told me they are already varnished, so I could go ahead and grout them as usual, which I've never even done before, so should be interesting! 

1 hour ago, Silvergirlsails said:

The number for Mini Magic in West Hempstead is out of service, but the folks at Miniature Designs, where I purchased the Onyx tiles, told me they are already varnished, so I could go ahead and grout them as usual, which I've never even done before, so should be interesting! 

Hi!  If you're worried about scratching the tiles, choose an un-sanded grout.

3 hours ago, Call Me Crazy said:

Hi!  If you're worried about scratching the tiles, choose an un-sanded grout.

I think that's the best option. I have sanded grout in the color I want (from when my kitchen floor was installed), but I'm going to look for a pre-mixed grout that is not sanded. Thank you!

Grout (sanded or unsanded) that you used on a 1:1 tile job might not be in scale for 1:12.  You might consider using spackle or joint  compound, which also wipe off with damp cloths.

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Grout (sanded or unsanded) that you used on a 1:1 tile job might not be in scale for 1:12.  You might consider using spackle or joint  compound, which also wipe off with damp cloths.

Oh that sounds good--spackle should work as long as I am able to make it the color I want. I read someone said they mixed acrylic paint with white vinyl spackle, so I could try that. Thank you!

To answer your Easy Cutter question, I used it to cut some mother-of-pearl mosaic tiles (life sized) that I used as floor tile in my Victorianna. It worked but was very difficult and I didn't have much control over the cuts. I'd expect mica to be easier to cut, so the Easy Cutter might work with those, but if they're brittle you might have issues with them breaking and leaving jagged edges.

Another option would be to score several times with a sharp utility knife and then break along the score line. You can cut them a little bigger than you need and then sand down the edge.

Because mica is so brittle it might help stabilize them by laying them face down on a strip iof painter's or masking tape before scoring, and use a nail board for the sanding part.

1 hour ago, fov said:

To answer your Easy Cutter question, I used it to cut some mother-of-pearl mosaic tiles (life sized) that I used as floor tile in my Victorianna. It worked but was very difficult and I didn't have much control over the cuts. I'd expect mica to be easier to cut, so the Easy Cutter might work with those, but if they're brittle you might have issues with them breaking and leaving jagged edges.

Another option would be to score several times with a sharp utility knife and then break along the score line. You can cut them a little bigger than you need and then sand down the edge.

I had hoped to lay them down in a diamond pattern but that means a lot of cutting--I will try both methods and see how it goes. Thank you!

59 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Because mica is so brittle it might help stabilize them by laying them face down on a strip iof painter's or masking tape before scoring, and use a nail board for the sanding part.

Sounds good, thank you!