Newbie to: this forum, dollhouse kit building, and everything miniatures

I live in Georgia, originally from North Carolina, and am excited, nervous, and overwhelmed with this new hobby! Ny buggest challenge is trying to figure out what the "sash" is of the windows and where are they on my large sheets of wood???

Any advise is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Carolyn Robinson

Welcome Carolyn! I'm in SC. The sash is most likely part of the window frame itself or a trim piece hard to say exactly without knowing which kit you are working on. Guessing it would be a smallish rectangle shaped piece. That is what I would be looking for anyway.  Don't get too nervous about it just remember most things can be taken apart and then put back together the right way.  Been there done that. 

1 hour ago, Carolyn Robinson said:

Ny buggest challenge is trying to figure out what the "sash" is of the windows and where are they on my large sheets of wood???

A window sash is the part of a window that moves and holds glass panes together. The window sash fits inside the window frame. Look for something that looks like a picture frame and is roughly the size of the window opening. Depending on the design for that particular house, it may have only 3 sides. 

Where are you in Georgia? I'm in Hiram. :) 

• Thanks 1

Welcome Carolyn.....

The sash thing was confusing to me at first, then I did a dry fit and :doh:

Also, the directions say to do the windows first.....it is better to do the windows at the end. It makes it easier to wallpaper and paint.

Welcome to the little family, Carolyn.  Many, many years ago I lived in Gainesville, GA, and our member Joel lives there now; and I have a DIL and grands in the Atlanta area.  The sash is the part of the window that holds the glass pane and as Carrie says, you really want to put them in after you have painted and wallpapered the interior walls.  I cut thin strips of painter's tape and mask around the doors and windows so that when I do finally install those parts I can glue bare wood to bare wood.  You don't want to use hot glue, despite what the directions say, but use a good carpenter;s wood glue such as Titebond or Probond.  I watched a gorgeous Greenleaf Pierce built with hot glue fall to pieces over the course of five years in a realtor's window in Sylvester, GA, when we went to my MIL's family reunions.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:35 PM, KathieB said:

A window sash is the part of a window that moves and holds glass panes together. The window sash fits inside the window frame. Look for something that looks like a picture frame and is roughly the size of the window opening. Depending on the design for that particular house, it may have only 3 sides. 

Where are you in Georgia? I'm in Hiram. :) 

I live in Richmond Hill!! I have the Magnolia kit and finally figured out what was what!

On 7/29/2020 at 8:08 PM, FurMama said:

Welcome Carolyn! I'm in SC. The sash is most likely part of the window frame itself or a trim piece hard to say exactly without knowing which kit you are working on. Guessing it would be a smallish rectangle shaped piece. That is what I would be looking for anyway.  Don't get too nervous about it just remember most things can be taken apart and then put back together the right way.  Been there done that. 

Thank you!!! I figured it out but there are additional pieces that I have no clue what to do with and they aren't labeled on the illustration sheet. I'll post a pic today. I'm working on Magnolia kit.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:33 PM, Mid-life madness said:

Welcome Carolyn.....

The sash thing was confusing to me at first, then I did a dry fit and :doh:

Also, the directions say to do the windows first.....it is better to do the windows at the end. It makes it easier to wallpaper and paint.

I wish I had come on here FIRST!! Setting my windows aside and moving on!!! Thank you so much!

On 7/30/2020 at 6:17 AM, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Carolyn.  Many, many years ago I lived in Gainesville, GA, and our member Joel lives there now; and I have a DIL and grands in the Atlanta area.  The sash is the part of the window that holds the glass pane and as Carrie says, you really want to put them in after you have painted and wallpapered the interior walls.  I cut thin strips of painter's tape and mask around the doors and windows so that when I do finally install those parts I can glue bare wood to bare wood.  You don't want to use hot glue, despite what the directions say, but use a good carpenter;s wood glue such as Titebond or Probond.  I watched a gorgeous Greenleaf Pierce built with hot glue fall to pieces over the course of five years in a realtor's window in Sylvester, GA, when we went to my MIL's family reunions.

Thank you!! I really wish asking these questions HERE had been my first step! We live outside of Savannah but I'm really missing the NC mountains. Thanks again for your help!!!

On 7/29/2020 at 6:39 PM, Carolyn Robinson said:

I live in Georgia, originally from North Carolina, and am excited, nervous, and overwhelmed with this new hobby! Ny buggest challenge is trying to figure out what the "sash" is of the windows and where are they on my large sheets of wood???

Any advise is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Carolyn Robinson

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help!!! In a matter of minutes I've learned so much from all of you! If you think of other tips that would help a beginner...I would greatly appreciate it and will share! I'm working on the Magnolia kit...and am promptly putting the windows away and moving to the next step!!! Have a beautiful day!!!

Carolyn, I replied to another Magnolia-building new member in the Corona Concepts subforum.  The Building Team built and blogged the Magnolia and I was asked to build the bare kit.  Since I build with wood glue, not hot glue, I knew I couldn't take it all apart afterwards in order to finish it as it wanted, so I used poster putty to hang things together; but between all of our entries you might find answers to some of your questions (my section of that blog are the entries "Bare Nekkid Magnolia").

22 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Carolyn, I replied to another Magnolia-building new member in the Corona Concepts subforum.  The Building Team built and blogged the Magnolia and I was asked to build the bare kit.  Since I build with wood glue, not hot glue, I knew I couldn't take it all apart afterwards in order to finish it as it wanted, so I used poster putty to hang things together; but between all of our entries you might find answers to some of your questions (my section of that blog are the entries "Bare Nekkid Magnolia").

Thank you! So if you were planning to decorate to your tastes, do you paint before assembly?

It depends on the results of the dry fit and what the house wants.  If I have an interior space (like a stairwell) that my hands + paintbrush will never fit once it's together forever, I go ahead and carefully lay the walls side by side to drop match any wall covering and have at it.  Otherwise I prime and paint as I go.