Hello from Ontario, Canada

Moushumi

Hi:

My daughter recently gifted me the McKinley Greenleaf, and I am so excited to embark on this adventure. I've never done anything like this before, so am a little nervous. At 54, to take up this project seems a bit daunting. I'm hoping to learn from all of you, and hopefully will be able to complete this lovely Victorian!

Welcome to the little family, Moushumi.  There's a building blog for the McKinley in the "Blogs" section in the middle of the upper left tool bar (reading this you're in the "Browse" part).  I strongly recommend doing a preliminary build using masking or painters' tape before you glue, to get everything to fit together nicely; especially the drawers (I still ended up rubbing bar soap over the top edges of the drawers).

Thank you for your welcome! I certainly plan to do as you say, a 'drybuild', it's called, I believe. I am checking out the Blogs section as well. I will have many questions as I begin my actual building. Looking forward to a great time.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the little family, Moushumi.

49 minutes ago, Moushumi said:

Hi: just a quick question re the McKinley house. For the roof, can I paint it with acrylic paint? Do I have to gesso it first? Thanks so much.

You can use any interior latex/ emulsion paint to prime the wood with, or a clear sealer, if you're going with a smooth painted roof.  If you're going to shingle or use some other roof treatment, sealing/ priming with a dark color might be an idea.  What kind of effect are you going for?

Thank you for replying, Holly. This is the first time I'm building a dollhouse, so I want to keep it simple! I could wallpaper the roof, or just paint it. So, here's a plan - I will first gesso the roof, and then use acrylic paint. Does that sound ok?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: Just hit a roadblock. I can't figure out how to do this step - I'm sending pictures after wrestling with this for the whole day. I'm trying to fit the backwall with the floors and centrewall. Can't get the first and second floors to sit flush on the backwall. Please help. Much appreciated.

IMG_1354.JPG

• 1 month later...

I remember building the McKinley I had the worst time with those floors, also the drawers (lots of sanding followed by bar soap on the top edges).  Surprisingly the tower roof and kitchen bay behaved themselves for me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi, I am in Canada, as well. I have a McKinley still in a box...not brave enough to try to do an actual build yet. I did a two room cottage years ago that never got complete, but have three already assembled that is easing me into the whole process. Lots of fun, though!