N.A.M.E.

Lani

I was a member and attended a national house party in Kansas City some years ago. As a newbie, I was totally embarrassed. Nowhere in the info did it say that it was customary to bring small items to exchange with the other 7 members at your table at the big dinner. I was caught empty-handed and was not made to feel welcome. I never bothered renewing my membership.

• Like 2

I personally am not, but I do plan to join. If you’re interested in going to local club meetings sometimes they require you to be a member. There is an active club in my new area and I can’t wait to try it out. I don’t have to join NAME to attend but it’s a NAME club so I will just to feel legit lol. 

• Like 1

- If you were not planning on attending meetings, I’m not sure it would be worth bothering about. Unless you wanted to start a business or offer sales, being a member of NAME gives a good impression to customers. Although a mini business I am currently in the middle of a nightmarish sales experience with -long story- is a NAME member and that apparently means nothing as far as ethical business practices. 

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone, for replying.  I'm so sorry for the bad experiences you have had.  I have just joined NAME and their Facebook page.  There is no local chapter near my home but they said I could start one and have been really supportive.  I'm not particularly interested in their events but would very much like to connect in person with other miniature enthusiasts.  If I can get 5 interested people for a club in Tacoma, WA, I can start the local club.  If I do, everyone will be made to feel welcome!  If any of you are interested, please let me know.  I noticed that one group is still meeting - outdoors, six feet apart and wearing masks.  I love that!

I joined a few years ago - tho I've been a miniaturist for decades - because  a lot of older artisans/NAME members are passing away and I wanted to contribute to the hobby. They put on great shows, always have a table at my local mini show, and have always been very generous and fun. 

YES - I also have had to seek out the insider knowledge about the customs (table gifts and hostess gifts), and I still have trouble understanding NAME Day and Roundtables, and I feel like it's hard to find their Auction info and online stuff - BUT...I have loved being a member. The Gazette is sent each quarter - love it. And when you ask questions, other members are always really nice with answering. I went looking for a back issue of the Gazette, posted it on a forum,  and the editor emailed with a link. So very nice.

They work hard for the hobby and haev enabled some really lovely traditions and miniatures - I'm very happy with my membership. I'm not the most active member, but I like being part of it.

It is a membership that allows you to take part however you like - but it isn't a product that you are paying for. If someone expects to get a dollar value of miniatures based on their membership dues, then it isn't for them - BUT, if you want to see how others are taking part, have access to NAME only sales, have the opportunity to chat with people of all sorts of backgrounds and interests and mini scales, and if you are want to enjoy the potential of the group, trying the little customs (roundtables, online parties) or not - then it's a good deal. I have learned so much and improved my mini- and people-skills - so membership fees have been worth every penny for me.

Edited by Elsbeth

On 7/17/2020 at 10:59 AM, KathieB said:

I was a member and attended a national house party in Kansas City some years ago. As a newbie, I was totally embarrassed. Nowhere in the info did it say that it was customary to bring small items to exchange with the other 7 members at your table at the big dinner. I was caught empty-handed and was not made to feel welcome. I never bothered renewing my membership.

Yeah. I was getting ready for my first house party (got covid-cancelled!)  and I was getting nervous about the table favors and table gifts...I only knew about it because a kind member wanted to give me a heads up. If I hadn't known any NAME people before joining, I wouldn't have known at all. I went searching for more info and even examples of table favors - and it was difficult!! I'd have been in the same situation as you if not for my NAME buddy. They say it is optional - but I am sad to hear of your experience.

I heard that newbies get a badge that makes it clear they are newbies - so everyone knows to explain how things work. 

Edited by Elsbeth

4 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Yeah. I was getting ready for my first house party (got covid-cancelled!)  and I was getting nervous about the table favors and table gifts...I only knew about it because a kind member wanted to give me a heads up. If I hadn't known any NAME people before joining, I wouldn't have known at all. I went searching for more info and even examples of table favors - and it was difficult!! I'd have been in the same situation as you if not for my NAME buddy. They say it is optional - but I am sad to hear of your experience.

I heard that newbies get a badge that makes it clear they are newbies - so everyone knows to explain how things work. 

Ruth Stewart Convinced me join. She was very helpful in dicussing the house party that you are speaking of.

4 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

It is a membership that allows you to take part however you like - but it isn't a product that you are paying for. If someone expects to get a dollar value of miniatures based on their membership dues, then it isn't for them

You said this perfectly. The one thing they do do is encourage the hobby in children.

The best way to improve NAME is to participate and make things better. I appreciate what the organization does. It is trying to keep the hobby alive.

Edited by Mid-life madness
  • Like 1