Interested in 1/12 scale doll making?

WyckedWood

If anyone is interested in scale porcelain dollmaking but doesn’t know where to begin...join the group miniDollLIST which is hosted at groups.io, the same site that hosts CampOn (the old small stuff digest off shoot). 

As with the dollhouse hobby, doll making is a true rabbit hole of learning new skills and becoming an expert in areas you may have only had a passive interest in, such as historic costuming. For example, at the moment the miniDollLIST is focusing on a project called Camelot Court. We are studying medieval costumes, food and backgrounds,etc. We are creating medieval style dolls to live in the fictional world of Camelot Court. Some long time members here might remember Wanna in ElPaso, active with smallstuff digest. With her amazing imagination Wanna writes an ongoing story -like a town newspaper- that weaves through Camelot Court and includes all of the characters involved, fictional as well as actual character dolls people are making for the project. So this is a great time to jump in and join in on the fun or just observe to see if 1/12 dollmaking might interest you. The group is in an email list type format but you can arrange your settings so that you don’t get individual emails, and just go to the group site to read the daily contributions at leisure. 

There are classes (free) for 1/12 costuming, wig making, jewelry making, etc. and friendly people who are willing to answer any questions or help you get started. 
You can start with purchasing a porcelain “blank” which is an unpainted, unassembled doll “kit”, that is the least expensive option. Or you can purchase a painted kit, etc, or learn starting from scratch with your own home kiln and molds. It’s true porcelain dollmaking is becoming a bit of a lost art, I think the hey day was probably back in the 1990s, kits are getting harder to come by, but they can still be found. 

If you’re at all curious please check out the group (they are also on fb under the same name) and jump down the rabbit hole with us! 

Note: Dana Burton is our doll making guru and mentor. She provides instruction, free classes, patterns, painted kits and direction/inspiration. Look up her dolls in google images or Pinterest to see her work. I’ll find the link to the miniDollLIST and add it below. 

Edited by WyckedWood
  • Like 1

The Camp was when for whatever reason we lost the Digest for a while.  I'm glad to see it has evolved.  I had to give up Small Stuff when we moved and I couldn't getit to switch me to our new server & email; just as well, I couldn't handle all the emails and with our Chromebook and our server's email limitations I don't think I'll go back.  I still pop in to research the archives, like Dr Bob's spiral stairs tutorial.

I fell down the doll making rabbit hole 2 years ago. The group Karin is referring to is wonderful. I participate as much as possible. I started out not knowing anything about miniature dolls to now casting and firing my own. If you loved dressing and playing with Barbie as a child this is right up you alley, only in an adult artistic way.

This is Dana Burton's web page https://www.danaburton.com/

Holly, you would see a lot of familiar names at the CampOn group site. Groups.io is a good host, you can adjust your settings so that you go to the actual site to read all of the posts, rather than getting them sent by individual email or daily digest. Whenever there is mini news, like a publication leaving the business, etc. I always see it there first. Many active members. I prefer the Greenleaf format but I do pop in there from time to time to see what’s happening in the mini world. 

Carrie, yes totally agree. As a former cosmetologist, I love the hair and makeup/paint aspect of it but also I love to sew. BUT if someone doesn’t like sewing, Dana’s costumes and patterns are designed to allow for gluing rather than sewing, if desired. In fact most available patterns you can choose a glue option. Many of the top dollmakers actually recommend gluing to keep your work in scale, so no worries or excuses if you think you can’t sew lol. 
Sherry Colvin of minidollkits.com has developed quite a few YouTube videos showing how to use the glue method to create a costume. Sherrys doll kits are polymer clay rather than porcelain but her dolls are wonderful, full of character and she has monthly specials. 

I know that some people are reading this and thinking they don’t like or want dolls in their dollhouses..I get it...I used to feel that way too, until I could see the little bit of extra magic that a doll can bring to our dollhouse rooms. They can be almost like an extra layer to bring interest to the scene. Just to try to give an example I’m going to (attempt) to add a few photos here of before a scene has a doll added and the same scene with a doll. I’ll have to do this in two separate posts or they won’t fit. So this is without doll-

DA4E8C2C-5A33-4CAD-AB2B-65EEB1457F6A.jpeg

Sherry is a member here, although I can see why she hasn't been active in a while.  I also work in polymer clay, so the techniques are a bit different.  I have been making dolls in various media most of my life.

Great info. Thanks for all this Karin. I have the tiny Jean Pardina moulds for dolls’ dolls. I was making them from Liquache, but for some reason the finish I am getting now with them is terrible. I think I need to learn to make them from porcelain. I don’t have a kiln but I know people who do. But I am sure there is plenty to learn about pouring and firing.