Starting my first Big Dollhouse

Daisy12

Hi Everyone!

I have been interested in tiny worlds for a long time. My first tiny worlds were 3 planted aquariums (29 gallon and a 90 Gallon and a 5 G Betta Tank). I then added to my tiny world repertoire DIY tiny house kits that are approx. 1:24 scale. My sisters and I work on these together and show each other our progress over the video text app Marco Polo. These were a lot of fun and I still enjoy them. Since we've built so many during QT, we call them our Apocalypse Houses. One thing that I really like about these DIY kits is that everything needed is included already sanded and prepared. 

These kits gave me the courage to try a Glencroft full size dollhouse! I've completed the dry fit and now I'm starting to Glue it.

One question I have is what method do you use to "tack glue"? Also, I want to open the wall from the kitchen to the living room. My husband has a regular size jigsaw - would this damage the wood?

Cheers!

Cindy 

Welcome to the little family, Cindy.  It has been 15 years since I built the Glencroft.  Whilst the kit's in dry fit decide how much of the wall you want to open.  A bandsaw or scrollsaw might give better control.  I've never used a jigsaw to bash a Greenleaf kit; perhaps one of our members has and will share the experience.  I have used my Dremel Trio, and found I needed to clamp the piece I was cutting on at least three sides to hold it steady when I was bashing a Pierce.  I remember the instructions reading "tack glue"; I think I used a toothpick to put glue along the edge of the wall where it met the floor/ ceiling.

Thank you so much for the replies! My husband helped me cut it - and it turns out we actually have a scrollsaw. There was some minor splintering, but I was able to sand it off. I’m so glad I opened this wall - it was such a bummer and giving me a block - now it feels much better. 

I will be most interested to see what your Glencroft wants to become.   Mine wanted to become a pub.  When you have made five posts you can make an album of your build.

Edited by havanaholly

Hi, Cindy! And welcome to this little community. 

I will be starting a Glencroft for my next build and plan on doing some bashing, too. I look forward to seeing what you do with yours. Please post plenty of photos.