Shingle Staining

TwinkleDoll

I have read about people putting them into a plastic bag, with liquid stain, shaking it up and then laying them out to dry. True story.

Wear gloves.

Edited by Elsbeth

The easiest way is to use two aluminum foil baking pans.  Punch holes in the bottom of one. Put that one with the holes inside the undamaged one. Add shingles, but not too many; depending on the number of shingles and size of pans, it may take more than one session. Pour in stain. Agitate the pans a bit to get the stain between shingles that may stick together. Check periodically for color. When the shingles are the shade you want, then gently lift the inner pan so the stain remains in the bottom pan. Spread the shingles out on newspaper or cardboard to dry. The stain can be poured carefully back into its can for use another time.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

It is easy, and you dump the stained shingles onto a spread of newspapers and spread them out to dry.

I suggested newspapers or cardboard as I suspect some of us -- me, for example -- no longer have newspapers delivered. I read mine on line.

A piece of corrugated cardboard with a layer or two of paper towels will work as well.

I get excited when I open a kit that includes shingles and they're all on one page...I immediately start thinking of what color to paint or stain because I can paint the whole page at once then separate all the shingles.

I have hand painted each and every shingle before and I prefer not to ever do that again, I've wanted to try the shingles in the bag method. I"m good at shake and bake pork chops so I think I could pull that off.

Question for those who have stained shingles before: Is it necessary to stain both sides? will they warp or curl if only one side is done? Is there any reason besides saving time to immerse them in stain like described above?

Lee, when I stain sheets of shingles I only do one side, I wipe the stain on with a rag of old teeshirt and touch up the sides and edges once they're glued onto the roof.  Since real life sized wooden shingles ripple and warp a little when they're on the roof, and mine flatten back out after the glue dries (I clamp scrap wood over them whilst they dry), it doesn't bother me.

I tried the 2 roasting pans and it was a mess. The pans were too large, and the bottoms were not flat, but had ridges which also was a problem. I ended up just putting a handful in a smaller metal pan and swishing them around. Feel free to read my blog post....

https://mini-madness.blogspot.com/2019/08/chateau-shingles.html

• Like 1

23 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Lee, when I stain sheets of shingles I only do one side, I wipe the stain on with a rag of old teeshirt and touch up the sides and edges once they're glued onto the roof.  Since real life sized wooden shingles ripple and warp a little when they're on the roof, and mine flatten back out after the glue dries (I clamp scrap wood over them whilst they dry), it doesn't bother me.

Thanks, Holly!

On 7/12/2020 at 4:36 PM, miniaddicted said:

I tried the 2 roasting pans and it was a mess. The pans were too large, and the bottoms were not flat, but had ridges which also was a problem. I ended up just putting a handful in a smaller metal pan and swishing them around. Feel free to read my blog post....

https://mini-madness.blogspot.com/2019/08/chateau-shingles.html

I love how varied they look.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question -- is there a problem with gluing the shingles on first and then staining them after they dry? That is what one book i read says to do. Seems like it would be a lot easier than beforehand.

1 hour ago, LeeB said:

Another question -- is there a problem with gluing the shingles on first and then staining them after they dry? That is what one book i read says to do. Seems like it would be a lot easier than beforehand.

You have to be careful to not get glue on the front, stain won't take where there is glue. Instead of staining, you can paint them after they are glued on.