Problems with 12 inch high ceiling in kitchen

Cluelesscrafter

Hello,

This is actually my first post.  I have a dollhouse from childhood (my dad built it from plans).  My dad modified it a bit.  The second floor has 3 rooms instead of 4.  Anyway, it’s the Windflower manor house designed by Jacquline Kerr Deiber, in case anyone is interested.  I am currently completely redecorating it.  My chief design problem is that I am having the hardest time finding a kitchen set, even a custom set that will look good in the kitchen because the ceilings are so high (12 inches). I would be grateful for any suggestions.  Thank you!

Edited by Cluelesscrafter
Typo

My mom's house had 10' high ceilings, I was used to it, so they didn't seem high  to me at all. Actually, half of the houses in the neighborhood had ceilings that high because they were built between 1890 and 1910. Here's a picture of an "efficiency" kitchen from the period. The ceiling looks to be about 12' high. You can see how one of the windows is quite tall and fairly high up.  You could try balancing the room by making the windows appear taller. The second picture is from 1911 and looks like it has 11 or 12' high ceilings. Although the walls seem to be tiled all the way, there's still a band of another color dividing the space.  You could paint the wall in one color to the height of your cabinets or somewhat above, then paint the upper part in a lighter shade of the same color, for example.

20615v.jpg

modern_kitchen_1911 upper class.jpg

I googled kitchens with 12 foot high ceilings (1:1 scale) and apparently the trick is long hanging light fixtures and exposed beams.  In mini I'd be tempted to install a loft with ladder somewhere other than over the stove.  I like Grazhe's pictures; you could make the windows higher.

Oooh yeah - Jackie's houses usually had 12" ceilings. I LOVE those ceilings in the pepperwood farm - so easy to get into the deep rooms and place things. But yes - doing cabinetry in a 12" high space would be tough. Since my kitchen was old 1900-1930 style I didn't worry. 

But those Jackie Kerr-Dieber houses are really marvelous.

Also consider a shelf/plate rack high up around the entire room - so you can put all sorts of marvelous plates and pans and kitchen collectibles on display. I'd love that. I plan on adding a plate shelf to my Pierce, but it doesn't have glorious 12" ceilings.

40 minutes ago, grazhina said:

My mom's house had 10' high ceilings, I was used to it, so they didn't seem high  to me at all. Actually, half of the houses in the neighborhood had ceilings that high because they were built between 1890 and 1910. Here's a picture of an "efficiency" kitchen from the period. The ceiling looks to be about 12' high. You can see how one of the windows is quite tall and fairly high up.  You could try balancing the room by making the windows appear taller. The second picture is from 1911 and looks like it has 11 or 12' high ceilings. Although the walls seem to be tiled all the way, there's still a band of another color dividing the space.  You could paint the wall in one color to the height of your cabinets or somewhat above, then paint the upper part in a lighter shade of the same color, for example.

20615v.jpg

modern_kitchen_1911 upper class.jpg

Thank you!  I really like the second kitchen.     These pictures give me hope.

38 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I googled kitchens with 12 foot high ceilings (1:1 scale) and apparently the trick is long hanging light fixtures and exposed beams.  In mini I'd be tempted to install a loft with ladder somewhere other than over the stove.  I like Grazhe's pictures; you could make the windows higher.

Thank you!  This is really good advice.  I looked on house and Pinterest to see kitchens with 12 foot ceilings.  The beans or I’m thinking maybe even a coffered ceiling might work.  I’m going to see my dad in a couple of weeks.  Maybe he can make some beams for me.  I hadn’t thought about he lighting.  Thank you for the suggestion!  The top of the window is 8.5 inches high.

33 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

Also consider a shelf/plate rack high up around the entire room - so you can put all sorts of marvelous plates and pans and kitchen collectibles on display. I'd love that. I plan on adding a plate shelf to my Pierce, but it doesn't have glorious 12" ceilings.

Thank you Elsbeth!  I will have to look into the plate rack.  I had not thought of that.  I am having fun with the house.  I love that it has so many rooms.  I turned one of the attic rooms into a laundry room.  My Achilles heel is that I’m out of my depth with DIY, hence my profile name. 

11 hours ago, Cluelesscrafter said:

My Achilles heel is that I’m out of my depth with DIY, hence my profile name. 

I felt the same way for years. And I have a great collection of built/furnished dollhouses I got secondhand to show for it - it's so nice when others do the work, lol. But, years later I started building little things, and now I do a lot more creating. I had been ejoying varioius mini magazines, and then one day all that info seemed to have sunk in and I was able to make things and like them for once.

I think some 1 inch or .75 inch strip basswood and something for brackets can take care of your plate shelf if you go that route. Good luck!!

1 hour ago, jrchob said:

Oh my!  This is wonderful!  Thank you.  I see some of her room dimensions are different.  I never would have thought about false windows with photographs!  How cool.  She is so talented! I definitely cannot make my own kitchen.  My kitchen is 16 inches deep by 10 inches wide.  The one 16 inch side has a window in the middle and the other has a double door opening. It makes it awkward for the 11.25/11.5 inch wide kitchens.  I bought a white Aztec kitchen.  It looks ridiculous in there.  I think it would look better in a smaller kitchen.  I’m definitely going to replace it.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

BTW, home decorating magazines and Architectural Digest in particular give wonderful ideas for dressing huge rooms, and are dirt cheap in thrift stores.

Thank you for the suggestion!  I have a few ADs lying around.  I was also looking on Houzz online.

13 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

I felt the same way for years. And I have a great collection of built/furnished dollhouses I got secondhand to show for it - it's so nice when others do the work, lol. But, years later I started building little things, and now I do a lot more creating. I had been ejoying varioius mini magazines, and then one day all that info seemed to have sunk in and I was able to make things and like them for once.

I think some 1 inch or .75 inch strip basswood and something for brackets can take care of your plate shelf if you go that route. Good luck!!

Thank you for the suggestions and encouragement!  I can’t tell you how nervous I was just to paint the interior rooms.  We had the interior of our house repainted a couple of years ago.  I just used the same SW colors.

I didn’t realize Jacqueline designed furniture as well.  I like the sink.  I’m partial to the farmhouse sinks or free standing sinks.  My set doesn’t have it.  I jumped the gun.  I should have taken my time with the kitchen.  I’m looking at the sets the girl from life in a dollhouse makes.  Those are crazy pricey.  I did notice that you can buy the island and registration separately now so you don’t have to buy the whole set in one go.

Hobby Builder's Supply still carries the Roper Range, monitor-top fridge and retro kitchen sink.  I got those pieces from HBS back when the range & fridge cost half as much

the McKinley

I also sometimes make Belfast sinks to go in my kitchens

dressing downstairs.jpg

Edited by havanaholly

31 minutes ago, Cluelesscrafter said:

Very cool!  I love the green.  Where did you get your dining set? I haven’t heard of Hobby Builders Supply.  I’ll have to check them out.

It's now better known as Miniatures.com

Stephanie, the dining set were kits from Northeastern Scale Lumber and are no longer available.  There used to be an online site with plans for DIY Mission furniture that I believe to be defunct.  I'm glad you like the green; I used that gloss finish hunter green in one other build, saw how it looks in photos and pitched the rest of the can!  Gloss finish just doesn't work for dollhouses.

36 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Stephanie, the dining set were kits from Northeastern Scale Lumber and are no longer available.  There used to be an online site with plans for DIY Mission furniture that I believe to be defunct.  I'm glad you like the green; I used that gloss finish hunter green in one other build, saw how it looks in photos and pitched the rest of the can!  Gloss finish just doesn't work for dollhouses.

I’m now relieved I didn’t use gloss finish paint in my house.  I didnt know that.  

I actually have not seen too much mission furniture for sale.

1 hour ago, Cluelesscrafter said:

...I actually have not seen too much mission furniture for sale.

There;s not.  Fortunately by its very nature it's not that difficult to reproduce.  Emily/ fov made some, I think in 1:24.

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

There used to be an online site with plans for DIY Mission furniture that I believe to be defunct. 

I saved them, printed all the pages. Do you think I'd get yelled at if I uploaded copies somewhere?

• Like 1