Tudor TD200

Hello everyone. Hoping for some advice and tips please. I am in the UK.  I have just acquired one of these lovely kits which had been brought all the way over here from the USA back in the 1990's and never built. So far, I have read the instructions through at least 10 or more times. It makes great bed time reading!  I have checked the parts list and labelled everything. It is a very different type of build to our  English dollshouses as many of you will probably know. The main difference is that this Duracraft uses posts into which you slot and glue your pieces as you build. The posts then form part of the decorative trim of the Tudor beams. The other main difference is that it doesn't open at the front and the back is completely open. I'm sure I will have more questions as I build but for now, can you help me with the following:-

1.  Many of the main pieces are made of hardboard and have a smooth and a rough side. The instructions do not say whether the rough side of each of the pieces go on the inside or the outside. Which way round should they go? Does it matter? Does it depend on what finish i plan to have?

2.I am not familiar with this type of wood. I plan to paint/plaster/wallpaper as I go. What should I use to prime and seal the wood first?

3.I will be putting in lights. I prefer to use wired lights. So how can I hide the wires and switch box? If it was a front opening house, all this would be hidden at the back but as it has no back, I cannot do this.

Finally for now, if any of you have this house, I would love to see them for ideas and inspiration or hear from you with any building tips. 

I have tried to upload some photos of the kit but my file size is too large. I'll try and work out how to get round this. My dollshouse skills are way better than my computer skills!

Thank you.  

20200616_073624_compress29.jpg

Edited by Andrea Belshaw
Add photo

7 hours ago, Andrea Belshaw said:

This is one of the pieces 

No it's not.  The only Dura-Crafts I have built had clapboard siding milled into one side for the exterior; I suspect yours will be more like the Newberg I still have in its box.  Look carefully at the photos in your instructions, I suspect the positions of door and window openings will help you to determine which side goes to the exterior and which to the interior.If the rough side goes to the interior you can prep the walls by sanding them smooth, or first giving them a skim coating of polyfilla and sand that smooth.  I use a flat finish white interior emulsion paint to prime the wood.  I do not prime anything I want to finish with stain; one can paint over stain, but trying to stain over paint is a non-starter.

Why not post us an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum?  We'd love to know how you got sucked into this hobby.

10 hours ago, Andrea Belshaw said:

I have tried to upload some photos of the kit but my file size is too large.

Welcome Andrea.

You can resize your picture using this site. https://picresize.com/ 

Once you have made 5 posts you can start an album.

Are you planning on stuccoing the outside?

This is a Dura Craft Tudor by @WyckedWood

Hello! :wave: and welcome!   The Dura-Craft Tudor is a lovely house.  

As Holly said- use a primer (I use a water-based) on all parts that are not to be stained.  When dry, give 'em a light sanding.  Any dings or gouges on the interior walls can be filled in with wood putty or spackle first, sanded and then primed.

As for hiding wiring- there are several good tutorials out there.  You can cut channels in the wood for the wiring, and also tuck it behind crown moulding and base boards.  That chimney is also a great place to hide wires! 

Have fun - and I look forward to your progress pics!

Thank you all for your replies. Really helpful. Language is a funny thing! So "spackle" I find is what we call "polyfilla" to fill gaps and dents. "Stucco" is what we call " render" and yes I'll be doing both. Lovely house by WyckedWood. Very atmospheric. I'll do my best to do justice to this kit and post my progress.