Power tools and electronic tools

Lani

I am currently working on my first dollhouse and have a lot to learn.  I've put together some furniture from kits and would like to start making my own.  I also want to make more accessories from scratch.  So far, the only cutting tools I have are X-acto knife, scissors, and a small knife with miter box.  What power tools and electronic tools do you use and what do you use them for?  I'm so inspired by all of you and would really value your recommendations.

A sturdy box cutter/utility knife with LOTS of new blades. A pin vise with assorted drill bits for starting tiny holes.  A small mitre box with a razor saw and extra saw blades with a variety in the size of the teeth. (The more teeth, the neater the cut; larger teeth use for rough cutting) 

I have a Dremel, rarely use it. Personally, I like the feel and results from hand tools. Unless you are building from scratch or doing a major bash on a kit, you don't really need power tools.

• Like 2

I have a sanding block, but for sanding curved and other fiddly places I do like to use my Dremel Stylus.  I have a regular Dremel set up in a drill press for drilling holes to string bedframes to hold mattresses.  Occasionally I find a use for the hubs' bandsaw, like cutting these dining chair sides:

56d51c1440c68-parlor1.JPG

Otherwise, like Kathie, I prefer to work with hand tools.  I like basswood for mini furniture, the grain is most to scale.

• Like 1

I'm spoiled. Hubby gave me carte Blanche of his tool chest. So in addition to a miter box, paper cutter, exacto knife, I have a Dremel, power drill with tiny drill bits, the mini chopper II, and clamps. Then for christmas he gave me a hobby table saw with a 2 inch cutting blade.  I love that thing! I can cut up popsicle sticks and plywood strips like nothing!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I have a sanding block, but for sanding curved and other fiddly places I do like to use my Dremel Stylus.  I have a regular Dremel set up in a drill press for drilling holes to string bedframes to hold mattresses.  Occasionally I find a use for the hubs' bandsaw, like cutting these dining chair sides:

56d51c1440c68-parlor1.JPG

Otherwise, like Kathie, I prefer to work with hand tools.  I like basswood for mini furniture, the grain is most to scale.

I didn't know that about basswood's grain.  I read somewhere that it doesn't take stain well but your chairs are beautiful!  Thank you, Havanaholly!

8 hours ago, Tigpuppy said:

I use a Dremel with a mini saw attachment a lot lately.  I also have a mini chop saw and mini table saw (both from Harbor Freight) that I like to use.  But I still use my X-acto knife the most!

Tigpuppy, Thank you so much.  How do you stabilized the wood and the saw when you cut with the dremel saw attachment?

@Lani I have my Dremel in a rotary tool vice when I have the mini saw attachment on it.  I use it more like a table saw most of the time - just watch your fingers!  I have also used it to cut holes into the side of my dollhouse for doorways and such just holding it like normal.

I created a video of me a while back using it to quickly cut craft sticks to make the shelves in the library of my Pierce dollhouse.  I uploaded it to youtube so you can see it in action.  I think you'll have to log in to see it because I set it to over 18 only due to the risky way I use the mini saw attachment.  I don't want to get into any trouble with telling little kids to use a Dremel that way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnqeBRKRhHY

My hubby also bought me these special cut proof gloves.  I sometimes wear those when I'm cutting stuff so I don't injure myself.  They are great for when I am carving something small with an x-acto knife and am holding the item in my hand.  They actually work!  They have saved me from numerous trips to the ER and countless stitches I'm sure!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tigpuppy said:

...more like a table saw most of the time - just watch your fingers! ...used it to cut holes into the side of my dollhouse for doorways and such just holding it like normal...

Do not, for safety's sake, use any saw attachment to cut freehand with a rotary tool!  Also, fences and push sticks will keep your cuts straight and your fingers clear.  For cutting door and window openings I take the removable top off of my building bench and clamp the piece I want to cut to the edges and cut with my Dremel Trio.

18 hours ago, Tigpuppy said:

@Lani I have my Dremel in a rotary tool vice when I have the mini saw attachment on it.  I use it more like a table saw most of the time - just watch your fingers!  I have also used it to cut holes into the side of my dollhouse for doorways and such just holding it like normal.

I created a video of me a while back using it to quickly cut craft sticks to make the shelves in the library of my Pierce dollhouse.  I uploaded it to youtube so you can see it in action.  I think you'll have to log in to see it because I set it to over 18 only due to the risky way I use the mini saw attachment.  I don't want to get into any trouble with telling little kids to use a Dremel that way!

My hubby also bought me these special cut proof gloves.  I sometimes wear those when I'm cutting stuff so I don't injure myself.  They are great for when I am carving something small with an x-acto knife and am holding the item in my hand.  They actually work!  They have saved me from numerous trips to the ER and countless stitches I'm sure!

Tigpuppy,  Thank you!  I would never have thought of doing that but I will now.  I appreciate the tip about the gloves too.  I will get some.

On 6/18/2020 at 3:49 PM, Tigpuppy said:

I use a Dremel with a mini saw attachment a lot lately.  

Thank you I am going shopping! I have needed something to cut out the take-out window on my coffee shop/primrose but didn't want to do it by hand!

• Like 1

I use a jig saw to cut out pieces and I also have a Proxon miniature table saw and a mini chop saw.  A Dremel with a flex shaft.  Now I use all these but I didn't in the beginning.  The multitool @Mid-life madness speaks about is awesome and probably the most used tool in my arsenal - buy the good one as you'll see some that are less expensive...youll wind up buying a replacement as the quality isnt that great.  An exact knife and I use scalpels quite a bit..  

• Like 1

My hubby is a HUGE tool fan - I swear he has at least one of every single tool ever made in his garage.  Thankfully because he has so many, he's now collecting them for me!  As far as power tools go I have a Proxxon table saw like Susie!  I have a mini mitre saw, an ultrasound cutter, a mini lathe (which I haven't played with yet), a dremel plus scroll saw attachment (which I hardly ever use), a Proxxon foam cutter, drills, mini belt sander....could be more but can't think of any.  The ones I use the most are the mini mitre saw and Proxxon table cutter.  I have been using the foam cutter and I know it'll come in handy in the future.  Once I have time I want to play with my lathe - it was my Christmas present.  I also use my drill and bits fairly often.  I hardly ever use the ultrasound cutter and since I now have a Cricut Maker that will probably be even less used.  Funny, and I'm sure most of this forum would probably agree, I LOVE tools!!!  I get very sore hands, arms and shoulders so when I'm doing a lot of cutting it's good to have things to make the tasks easier.  I also use my pliers and electrical tools including a soldering iron, quite frequently.  

• Like 1

Thank you all.  I wish I could watch you all work.  I've never used power tools.  I'm sure I could learn to use them but learning how to make something out of them is daunting!  The only piece of furniture I've made from scratch, so far, is a simple quilt rack.  

I wasn't compelled to use power tools when I first started. But wait till you spend umpteen hours cutting popsicle sticks for flooring or tiny tiles. Then you'll be thinking, "there has GOT to be a faster way to do this!" Lol

• Like 1

I use the EZ cutter a lot, I also have a Chop-it which is really handy for smaller pieces of trim, and a micro dremel-like tool I got for $10 from harbro freight - which is great for miniature work.

Chop-it:

https://www.micromark.com/Chop-It?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo4e2p9Kf6gIVvj6tBh1yfQBFEAQYASABEgIbwfD_BwE

Cheap Rotary tool that works for my minis:

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/rotary-oscillating-tools/rotary-tools/rotary-tool-kit-80-pc-63235.html

I also love my micromark glue jig.

https://www.micromark.com/Magnetic-Gluing-Jig-10-1-4-Inch-Square?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI45XskNOf6gIVdiCtBh2ZnAWMEAAYASAAEgKzFfD_BwE

I am afraid of power saws.

Edited by Elsbeth

6 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

...I am afraid of power saws.

Smart, Jenn.  I found out, having spent so many years behind a sewing machine, that I was OK with a scroll saw, but I was always very careful around the sewing machine and still managed to have a needle go into one of my fingers, so I'm uber sissy around power tools that cut.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 1:21 AM, Tigpuppy said:

Wow! I just watched the video. I am creating little rooms in cigar boxes (sending sample pic - piece combines found and created elements) and want to learn to cut out skylights, windows and doors. In this piece, there is a photo behind the window but I would have liked to have cut out the wood behind it so I could have backlit the photo, creating an illusion of light coming into the room. I also might have wanted to turn the shutters into French doors if I knew how. I'm literally working on my dining / kitchen table which is an antique covered by a table pad! The whole setup is in 550 square feet, so I am building miniatures within a "miniature." Is anyone else working without a workshop? What tools do I need to do better work? I also work in boxes which measure 4" x 6". This one is larger. I'd like to hear from city dwellers who are working in small spaces! Thanks so much. I so appreciate having a place to come to ask questions where people are kind enough to care about them.

62985919377__DD6D1502-0B7E-47E6-8816-0CE8F6DEA90D.jpeg

On 6/19/2020 at 12:21 AM, Tigpuppy said:

I just watched your video... aren't you clever!!! I just got the Dremel for Christmas and I LOVE this!! Is that thing holding the Dremel a Dremel vise??? Thank you! 

Kim